Twin Spark help please

Started by Alan Hopla, December 27, 2009, 11:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Hopla

The Twin Spark conversion into the Alfetta is nearly complete but would just like to run a couple of points past some experts.

Below are three photos that I'm not certain of the part shown.
First one is located near the dipstick, this I think is an Oil Pressure switch.
The next is located at the base of the block at the front on the drivers side, by the Air con bracket, this I think is the Oil Level Sensor.
The third one is a bolt that is on the front of the head just under dizzy. I'm pretty sure it mounted the power steering pump bracket. But I also think I remember this one had an earth cable attached, (it doesn't matter how many photos I take before I start, I always miss something I need later).

Thanks for the input, next trip to the shed should see it started.

Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

MD

You are correct on all three assumptions.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Alan Hopla

MD, Thanks for that.
Should get some time in the shed tomorrow.
Now I just need to mske up a new earth lead on top of the other half dozen or so odds and end to finish the install.
Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark

Alan Hopla

Well after many interupted months the TwinSpark has finally returned to life.

Now just a myraid of liitle jobs, (like an exhaust system for instance), and it will be off and running.

My biggest problem at the moment is I have no idea where I put the gear lever mounting bolts.
Must be in the shed somewhere!

Oh, and one last question.
There are two small vacuum nipples on the intake plenum.
One goes to the fuel pressure regulator.
Where does the one next to it go?
It's quite a long thin plastic pipe with a right angle rubber fitting on the loose end.

Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark

MD

I suspect that's the fuel tank vapour recovery tube? Hook it up to the manifold me thinks.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Paul Gulliver

QuoteNow just a myraid of liitle jobs, (like an exhaust system for instance),

The old Alfetta system should just bolt straight up.

Can't wait to see it . Great Effort.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Alan Hopla

Paul,
I was trying to use some of the 75 system with the cat and all and the bigger pipes.
But it all got a bit hard and I have now as you suggested fitted the the standard Alfetta system to the TwinSpark headers.

Also had to rebuild the clutch master cylinder, would have been a lot easier before I fitted the engine if only I had known. Finally got it bled and I think it might work, pity we blew the hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder just as we were bleeding it, (Brake fluid everywhere).

I think I just have the handbrake, still the gear lever, put the bonnet on and bolt up the streering wheel. Might get to drive it in a day or so if all goes well.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark

Alan Hopla

Well it finally drives.
I'm not happy with the clutch as it takes up very close to the floor, but after weeks of messing around and bleeding I can at least drive it now.
I would have liked to have it out on the EMR but wasn't brave enough to go that far from home on its first real trip on the road.
I did however take it in to South Melbourne to work yesterday and it ran faultlessly.

Just a few little jobs to tidy up,
the central locking needs some sorting out, as does the stereo.
Most important though is to get the speedo working, no idea why this has chosen to stop working hopefully it's just a bad connection that I disturbed during the work.

Oh and one last question.
Does anyone know if the water temp senders are rated differently in the TwinSpark to the Alfetta.
I ask this as the guage now reads about 65 degrees when warmed, whereas it used to read around 80 with the Nord engine.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark

MD

QuoteMost important though is to get the speedo working, no idea why this has chosen to stop working hopefully it's just a bad connection that I disturbed during the work
QuoteThe Twin Spark conversion into the Alfetta

Could you please clarify if you have installed a twin spark transaxle as well as the sender units in this box are incompatible with the Alfetta/Veglia speedo

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Alan Hopla

No. I still have the original transaxle, nothing in the speedo circuit was changed.
I did have the transaxle out of the car during the build process though, and also lots of connectors under the dash were disturbed.

I need to have a good look at what signals I have where, shouldn't be to hard theres only two wires go to the sender: :)
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark

Tristan Atkins

Hi Alan,

The water temp on my TS reads about 80 deg, while with the NORD engine it was around the 80-90 mark. There may be a slight difference with the unit but the thermofan kicks in at a little over 100deg C so I assume everything is ok :S

I hope this helps a little.

Tristan

Alan Hopla

Tristan,

Thanks for that, I thought they would probably be similar but with Alfa you can never be sure.
I did change the connectors on that wire so I may have a high resistance joint that is causing the gauge to read a little low.
Just another little job to put on the list.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark

Mat Francis

The temperature on my 75 stays about what you mentioned Alan. It only gets to 80 if it's not moving, or if it's getting the absolute s*** thrashed out of it.

Two cars built in the same month, doing the same thing? There is something seriously wrong with one of our cars.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Darryl

My 75 TS did run cold until I replaced the thermostat....

Alan Hopla

Well after a couple of weeks off for the sprint at Winton I had a good look into the water temp.
At room temp they read about the same resistance ~2600 ohms.
The Nord then reads ~270 ohms for a display of 85-90
The TS reads ~315 ohms for a display of 75-80
So it looks like the senders are much the same.

I thought that I might have had an issue with the thermostat, but now think that maybe its just that the rear of the head runs a bit cooler than front.
I base this on that the old Nord switches in the radiator fans just under 100, but with the TS in with the same system it now cuts in at ~85.
These should both be the same actual temp at the thermo switch.

My next task was to try and nut out the speedo, but lo and behold when I took the car out to warm it up the speedo was magically working.
Now I have no idea, the only thing I've done is re-bleed the clutch and hey presto I have a speedo.
Got to love those Alfa gremlins.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark