GTV6 front Wheel Bearings

Started by shane wescott, December 22, 2009, 10:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane wescott

Hi Guys

Noisy in the front and some vibrations coming throuhg the steering. The noise has been getting louder and is related to road speed not engine revs.

Thought it was out of round tyres so can chekc that  but maybe wheel bearings.

I have seen on the web elsewhere that the front bearings are the same as a smal Fiat so not up to the job.

Anyone done this job and is it a wheel bearing replacement that can be done in a backyard or is a press required ?

thanks in advance Guys.

Catch ya

Shane

Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

116gtv

front wheel bearing noise usually increases in corners.. can be done with a jack and basic tools in half hour or so unless they are totally busted.. good luck

franck

me too am encountering same problem, where in nsw can you get bearings? any outlets that you know of 116, as i want to change them myself

MD

Replacement of the front wheel bearings is a relatively straight forward job. You will need a brake line clamp to stop the pistons moving out of the caliper when you remove it. Dont forget to tie the caliper up with a bit of wire to prevent it dangling by the brake hose (a big no no)
The bearings consist of and outside set and an inside set and they are not the same size so you will need two outers and two inners for both wheels. Never just change one unless you work for a car yard.. :)
You will also need new seals.

To take bearings out, it should be possible to tap them out with a hammer and a drift. Easiest done with a press. Best thing is to take your old samples along and get some replacements over the counter at any bearing outlet. They usually read off the ID numbers and match your specimens quite easily. Forget about original equipment, it's waste of money.

Pack the bearings with fresh high temp bearing grease and refit in the reverse order.To do this put a tablespoon full of grease in the palm of your hand and work the grease into the bearing races until it oozes out on the opposite side. This is all the grease the bearings need. DO NOT FILL THE HUB VOID BETWEEN THE BEARINGS with grease as this achieves Sweet F. A.

When installing the outer races into the hub, be sure to drive them full home preferably under a press. Failing to do this may result in later migration of this section leaving you with a loose and "floating" brake rotor. Work clean and do not contaminate the rotors with grease in the process.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

116gtv

well there's nothing else to say after MD's detailed info .. ;D

franck

hey MD when a house becomes available to purchase next door to you let me know!!!!! thanks for the info

MD

Franck,

No worries mate. There's heaps of very helpful guys on this forum and if you are not afraid of getting your hands dirty, I am sure they will help you enjoy your Alfa to the max.

As for moving in next door, well that's bit of mixed bag. The two hookers on the left are doing good business and I can't see them relocating for a while and the winos on the other side can't afford to move so I guess that's a no. About the only chance you have is the Irish Lads at the back fence who I notice have fequent deliveries of fertilizer and diesel fuel of all things. I certainly don't know what all the clocks are for but they are very industrious and you might just fit in. Would you like me to ask?  ;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

franck

geeeeezzzzzz..... dont ask... im on my way.... hookers...winos...and the irish..what more could one ask for! ;D

shane wescott

Thanks guys. I will try the cornering thing to see if the noise changes.

A wealth of knowledge is always to be found on this forum :-)

I will let you know how it goes.
Current Cars:

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

Current Bikes:

shane wescott

Well, back from the EMR - all enthusiastic about a number of things:

1. Kerry was chatting to a guy who is selling a Ducati 600 super sport - and they are approved for Learners :-) 
2. heaps of people and some awesome cars on the run
3. Found a new piece of road recommended by a member (Thorpedale to Trafalgar) that is awesome and will be used in a run in the future.

So rather than just sit on the couch eat my KFC, and watch the cricket, i thought I would do some stuff on the GTV6 for the RACV display on Tuesday.

Checked for some play on the front wheels - Bugger there was some :-(

So I decide to remove and wheel and potentialy adjust the bearings. Double Bugger lots of noise when rotating the disc by hand - wheel bearings definatly shot - bugger bugger bugger.

Thats what happen when you wont just sit on the couch and vegitate.

Oh well The Positives -

1.  I now know what the noise is - shot bearings
2. I get to do more work on the GTV6
3. When I finish I will know the 4 wrong ways to replace the wheel bearings and the one right way to do it
4. When I finish it will sound beautiful again when I drive it
5. i wont have to do the front wheel bearings ever again (hopefully)
6. I get some time on Tuesday to work on the 75 TS

Negatives -

1. I miss out on being in the RACV display on Aust Day - Bugger Bugger
2. I already lost some skin off my hand getting the bearing cap off and I know I will lose more - Ouch Bugger
3. I can't drive the GTV6 til it's fixed - I'm starting to cry Bugger

Anyway, more positives than negatives so it's all good. I'll do a couple of other jobs while I'm at it like finishing the clutch pedal and maybe front and rear brake pads for something to do.

Catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

Current Bikes:

John Hanslow

Crickey Shane, you certainly have a busy day ! 

I just had a beer (actually two) and chilled for a few hours after the run.

I have read that Alfetta series cars need to have the wheel bearings 'torqued' up. Otherwise there is little difference from pre and post bearing replacement.  Is that correct ? ...
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

MD

John,
To my knowledge, there is nothing unconventional about Alfetta front wheel bearings and the same repair techiniques would apply as are used in most vehicles.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

shane wescott

found a local suppler of kits for GTV6 front bearings $31 each side for the kit plus gst. will see how they go :-)
Current Cars:

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

Current Bikes:

shane wescott

well the bearings from the bearing kit were fine but the seal was totally the wrong size :-(

Good thing i was careful when i took it off.

Anyway, out on the road, all i can hear now is the sweet sound  of the V6, and some wind noise :-)

Lovely :-)
Current Cars:

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

Current Bikes:

dfrye

You can get these bearings from Just Bearings in Epping VIC (03 90091670). I bought a set off ebay from them for 29.70 delivered interstate. Have not fitted them yet, but the kit does include the oil seal. Part Number is Koyo A0731F if you call to order.

//dean