Wanted: Chrome trim for 105 centre console and dash

Started by Krishnan, December 04, 2009, 10:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krishnan

Hello fellow Alfisti.

I've been looking for the chrome trim that sits on the edges of the wood veneer (its a thin C section) on the dash and centre console of a 105 2000 coupe for a while but have had no luck finding it or anything close.

I'm remaking the veneer myself and would ideally like to know if anyone has found somewhere where you can buy the stuff. It doesn't have to be exactly like the original, as long as its close.

If you have any leads feel free to let me know on 0403426400

Cheers

Krish

Davidm1600

Hi Krish, re the parts you are chasing, check out on the forum under wrecking 1750 GTV series 2 thread and try getting in touch with Angelo from 105s alive Alfaparts. I believe he has a website ie. 105.com.au.  Re the wood veneers, these are readily available through both Classic Alfa and Alfaholics in the UK.  Check out their websites.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Krishnan

Dave, thanks for that. I'll have a word to Angelo. I haven't actually seen any of the chrome trim with veneer kits so

Actually I re-read my post and its a bit unclear. I've actually already made the veneers. I saw the options from the UK but it was an area that I thought I could tackle myself.

All I'm missing now is the chrome trimming.

adriank

Let us know what happens here since i would like the glove box from this car assuming Angelo decides to part the dash.

Assuming it still has one.

Adrian
'74 GT 1600 Junior
'00 Kawasaki W650 (daily drive)

berlinaman

Hi Krish,
I can't help you chrome trim but I am interested to know how you go remaking your dashboards veneer. I am considering doing mine too. (1750 Berlina)
What species of timber are you using and are you using 1.6mm solid or laminating 3 layers of 0.6 veneer together. If so then what glue and what finish are you using. The reason I ask is the car interior is achallenging environment for timber.
Any other tips?
Hope it all goes well and look forward to your reply and maybe seeing the results.
cheers
Tony

Krishnan

hey Tony,

Well so far getting my hands on the veneer has been the hardest part. I chased around cabinet makers and finally found one that actually had veneer lying around. I got two types (just to be sure). One was Australian Blackwood, which appeared to match the colour on the back of the centre console veneer when stained.

The other one I got was a dark cedar. That matches the back of the dashboard veneer which is darker. I chose to go with the dash veneer colour as I prefer that look.

The veneer I got was around 1.2-1.6mm, no laminiating required. I'll hold it in place using the original dash chrome but I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the chrome stripping on the centre console though.

As for the environment, I don't think a hardwood veneer is that much different than a single layer of ply. I'll varnish it using a good quality UV suitable marine varnish and that should last till the dash cracks.... i hope.

If I can find the chrome stripping this could work out to be a fair more cost effective way of replacing the veneer than simply spending the hundreds of $$$ on a new one.

I'll see if I can shoot some photos when its done.

Cheers.

Davidm1600

When I was restoring the dash for my Giulia Super project, I too needed to re-do all the wood veneer.  I had a friend, whose son was working on some design projects (for Art School), and so managed to get some fillets of fiddleback blackwood, which he correctly cut to shape (include all cutouts), and clear laquered them. They look really good.

I also someone previously who had replaced the wood veneer with birds eye Huon Pine veneer.  It looked good, but somehow also not quite right for his Super.

For my 1750 GTV, however, I might simply though get the kit from Classic Alfa, as it would save the trouble of having to make all the fiddly parts from scratch.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina