Sprint - 1200 gearbox

Started by alex, December 15, 2006, 11:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex

Does anyone know what significant accearlation gains I would have, if I replaced my gearbox (1987 Alfa Sprint) to an older sud 1200 5speed closer ratio gearbox?
Regards,
Alex.

Justin Jacobs

I had a 1200 Ti sud and the gearing was exellent for around town . It was as nippy as a 1200 can be ! In the country or on track the 1500 motor has enough power to over come the later gearboxes taller ratios in my opinion . However a few of the sud racers do use the 1200 gear box so they must feel a benefit exists. Better valuve in tweaking the motor than introducing a tricky[need speacil shaped tools !] gearnox reco and change over. Thats my ten cents worth any way ,cheers JJ .

Evan Bottcher

Here's a reference to gearbox ratios - http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/gearbox.htm

We have the short ratio box in our 1.5 Sud used for club sprints, and it's definitely noticeably quicker accelerating out of corners than the longer box.  Great for on the track and not too short that you run out of legs at the end of the straights (well not yet anyway).

On the other hand I used to have a 1.5 Sud Ti with the longer gearbox and the gearing was much nicer for on the road, particularly on the highway at 100kph, revs stay at a reasonable level whereas with the 1.2 box it's over 4000rpm.

Horses for courses I guess...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal