1973 2000 GT Veloce

Started by JKaissar, November 20, 2009, 11:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKaissar

Well, I have finally done it.
Some will say I am crazy, and I would agree, because I bought this car without actually seeing it. I am now living in Japan, the car is on its way from Perth to Melbourne on a freight train, and it will be in storage for about 11 months before I get to see it, let alone drive it.

Why have I dont this, well, I have no idea. About 7 years ago (I just counted) I got a ride in one, not a 2000 GT, but a 1300 GT Junior with a supercharged 2ltr engine(I know thats not quite original), and ever since then I have fallen for the beautiful exterior and interior of the car.

Well, the reason for this post is that I plan to do a lot of research over the next few months and no doubt I will have a lot of questions so I thought I would introduce myself.  Joe, wife that hates cars, 11 more months in Japan, Engineer, wan'a'be alfa enthusiast but currently have a 2000 Ver6 Sti, thats about it in a nutshell.

I have posted all the photos the seller sent me on the below link. Had a mate in Perth check it out and take it for a drive. He reported Suspension, Engine and Drivetrain all seem to be in excellent condition (I trust his judgment as he has only recently returned to Australia after having worked for the F1 for 6 years, so he knows a little about cars). As for the Body, he really had no idea what to look for so he basically just did a quick look and didnt report back much. The previous owner bought it two years ago from an Alfa Dealer in Perth. He had it checked out by the RAC and they only found one portion of rust in the Fr Passenger Wheel Arch(Hard to believe). It was repaired as condition of sale. Before I bought it he had it checked out again by an alfa dealer, and they found a rust bubble on the drivers door in the lower right hand corner. Apart from that, its all a mystery.  ???

If you Alfa experts out there could browse through the pics I have posted, and let me know of any obvious things you see that I should have repaired or looked at before I put it into storage, it would be appreciated.  Also any general comments on what I should do before storing it would be appreciated. I guess any comments at all would be appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44817082@N03/sets/72157622841122900/with/4119795284/

thanks,
Joe

MD

Joe

Looks like a good unmolested unit.

To save any further corrosion onsetting, you may care to get a rustproofing crowd to give it the treatment prior to storage. I use Valvoline Tectyl 506 but others may have other preferences.

Make sure the coolant has plenty of inhibitor in it.
Put 20cc of upper cylinder lube down every cylinder and crank over with plugs out and replace plugs.

Your hydraulics may fail by the time you get to use it again, maybe not. Just be careful when you do get in to use it. Those Benoldi Boosters use "o"rings instead of cups in the master cylinder and they can get "blow by" condition if worn. ( Having said that, I have experienced total brake failure on new rings when I had a Berlina).

Disconnect the battery.

Keep the cat out of the garage.. ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

JKaissar

Thanks MD.
Any advise on were to apply the Tectyl 506 rustproofing. The more detail the better as I will need to probably ask someone to do it for me before it is stored. I can also get someone to take the car out for a spin ever month or so, is that better than having it sit there for about a year untouched?

Also, if anyone has any other advise or comments please dont be shy.

thanks,
Joe

MD

Joe,

After having a close look at some of the chasis photos, it seems as if there has been some topical applicaton of some kind of protection along seam lines.

My suggestion is to apply  the treament inside all cavity sections like chassis rails, inside door panels and "A & B " pillars, tyre wells, battery tray areas and generally under the floor areas everywhere following a steam clean first. If the stuff gets onto mechanical parts as well it matters little unless you are a purist.

Yes a regular drive would be best to get the engine warmed and all the parts moving subject to registration and insurance issues.

Just bear in mind that you cannot paint OVER this stuff so dont apply it where this may be required. However it can be removed simply with some kerosene and a rag. Has a slight floral smell which disappears over time. BTW. I dont sell it and I am not connected with this product in any way but I have used it for decades and so has the military since the second world war.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Colin Byrne

Quote) I got a ride in one, not a 2000 GT, but a 1300 GT Junior with a supercharged 2ltr engine(
hey joe, that wouldn't have been my car would it?
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

JKaissar

Yes it was Colin. Been wanting one ever since, but can never find myself in Australia long enough to seriously consider buying one.