race shifter

Started by BradGTV, November 22, 2009, 09:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGTV

today i was looking on the alfabb and saw this, pic below,
has anyone done something like this?
what benefits does it have?
i am intrested im modifing my shifter as it is very slopy and loose.
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

MD

Yeah Brad. About 10 years ago I did one of these. Worked ok mostly except it wanted to baulk the 3rd to 2nd position so I made other versions. The gears that it did work for were sharp and precise to select. It needed some detail revision but I opted for a completely different approach for subsequent attempts.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

The 2nd version I installed in my GTV6 and it works a treat. You can adjust the length of the selection as well as the width of the gate. It now shifts like a front mounted gearbox and as well as a 105 if not better which 116 series never were/are. ( I don't want to offend anyone here, just read any test drive report of a 116 and they always bag the shift.)

This set up would  suit a track car as it does encroach the rear passenger area (which I don't use) and therefore not necessarily good for general application.

There are many refinements that can be done to the original set up to improve it and perhaps others may care to chime in to help you out.

See next post for balance of stages..

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

..the rest of the stages

Sorry Brad in my quest to help you out, I forgot to comment on the example you provided. Yes I think that is an elegant solution in its simplicity and minimum weight of components. I dont see any provision for adjusting the size of the gate but that doesn't mean that there isn't any. However that is just as important as the length of the throw.

I think that this idea has been borrowed fron this commercial example. This one is used in a front wheel drive configuration on a Corolla racer.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

looks hard.
looks nice for a drift/track car?

is there anyway to mod it to keep the arm still under the car ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

MD

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

thanks.

might have to looks around.

i will cut it shorther as i h8 it long and add 1inch or less to the bottom of the shifter. i heard it workes gr8 that way
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

BradGTV

thankyou very much for your pictures and info md :)

ur designs are very intesting and well designed thankyou for sharing, i particulay like the on ur gtv6 i might have to look into making something similar..

the guy whos shifter that is (in my picture) said that it can be adjusted, he said he has drilled multiple holes in the shifter. so the support linkage can be put in diffrent positions, (you can see the other two holes in the pic) and that shortens the length of the shift.
he also said the shift is great and it is very rigid an accurate, he compared it to modern cars such as mitsubishi evo and subaru wrx.

cheers, brad
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd