Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Fuel tank fitted, with the fiddly rubber seal (boiling water required to soften the rubber).  Dynamat fitted to the firewall should keep things quiet.  Apparently the stuff is a bit fiddly if it's been sitting around for a while probably something best to buy just before you want to fit it.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Steering box and column, pedal box, accelerator lever, and handbrake lever all fitted.  All the steering is together now, so the car can be put on the hoist and fitted with springs and other things from below.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Detail of the rear axle with new droop straps, bump stops, handbrake cables fitted.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Paul Gulliver

QuoteDynamat fitted to the firewall should keep things quiet

Evan, If you looking to keep things quiet are you covering the transmission tunnel in Dyna mat ?
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on February 25, 2013, 09:21:24 PM
Evan, If you looking to keep things quiet are you covering the transmission tunnel in Dyna mat ?

Hadn't planned to add to the original deadening that is still in place on the tunnel.  Thoughts?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Beatle

Can't hurt.

If you are not keen on sticking something to the floor, there are a variety of products you can simply install loosely under the carpet/mats to keep heat and noise down.  If you change your mind, lift the carpets and remove it.

I used a product marketed as TROCELLEN under my Duetto mats.  Basically a sheet of closed cell foam. Very light, easily worked, fire resistant etc etc.    Supposedly used by race car teams ................ 

Just be aware that anything impervious to moisture will not allow any trapped moisture between mat and floor sheetmetal to dry out easily.  Hence manufacturers tend to use fibrous underfelts.

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

aggie57

All sing: "I can feel a concourse coming on". 
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: aggie57 on February 26, 2013, 07:52:07 AM

Nope.  Plenty of flaws and non-originale bits on the car, it wouldn't win a concours.   Especially as IMO the standard of cars we see in concours is improving the last few years.  This will just be a nice tidy original car ready to drive  :)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

DaveT

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 26, 2013, 08:59:23 AM
Quote from: aggie57 on February 26, 2013, 07:52:07 AM

Nope.  Plenty of flaws and non-originale bits on the car, it wouldn't win a concours.   Especially as IMO the standard of cars we see in concours is improving the last few years.  This will just be a nice tidy original car ready to drive  :)

The best kind of restoration, everything done properly, but not so finicky you'll be worried about taking it out for a good thrashing!

Looking great Evan.
DaveT & Bertie - 67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Previous belligerent Italians:
92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

Divano Veloce

Love your attention to detail Evan. White series 1 1750s are my favorite
1968 Berlina TS
1989 75 TS
1990 75 TS
2007 147 JTD

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Mechanic on March 01, 2013, 09:27:18 PM
Love your attention to detail Evan. White series 1 1750s are my favorite

Thanks Mechanic.  I like the details, but have no talent.  Luckily I have the help of Bruno Colautti and his team who are good at the details and have no lack of talent.

Was fun watching the steering box go back together with John Rosa at Maranello Pur Sang.  The end of the steering column is machined to fit a roller bearing instead of the standard bushing.  Lots of new ball bearings go in, then when the unit is together there's various trial fittings and measurements to fit the correct shims.  John showed me how it feels 'just right' when it's shimmed correctly.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

As the GTV project is moving along again, it's not too many more steps before we put the dash and consoles in.  I started to think again about an audio solution.  I've dithered on this – I definitely don't want to cut the dash timbers to fit a classic face radio, and I don't really want to put in speakers in the parcel shelf or rear side panels.  I almost decided not to fit any audio at all.  Then I came across an interesting device called an 'iSimple'.  The small box is wired into a 12 volt source, and then delivers audio (and video) from an ipod or iphone to a set of RCA connectors.  The connector is powered, so it will also charge your ipod or iphone (Marco need not apply).

My plan is to wire in this device to a small amplifier, located in the glovebox.  For now I'll only fit speakers in the centre console – I understand they won't deliver huge sound, but that's not really what I'm after anyway.

For an amplifier I picked up a ridiculously cheap Lepai stereo amp from eBay – for the grand sum of $22.80 including shipping.  I'm really keen to hear this amp – I've read a bit about the Tripath chipset that is used and it sounds like these little amplifiers perform incredibly well for the price.

We'll give it a try anyway and see what it sounds like...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Some small progress I forgot to post previously – here's the four brake calipers reconditioned, with new seal kits, plated bolts/nuts and new bleed screws.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Small amount of progress to report.  Front springs and calipers are fitted, and some tatty spare wheels fitted so the car could be rolled around the workshop.  It has migrated onto the hoist now.  The steel fuel line is fitted, and the handbrake cable.  It's time now to make some new brake lines.

The tail lights were fitted a while ago.  Replica rubber seals aren't a perfect fit, but do the job.  As has been discussed at length earlier, these 1750 mk1 tail lights are unique and look fantastic.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV