Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancho

I'll check my parts manual today and let you know if I have the right wiper motor. If I do, then I really do believe the wipers should be single speed. We can test it anyway.

Your Cars coming along great Evan!

Sportscar Nut

Sorry Pancho but windscreen wipers are two speed on the 1750 GTV S1. Factory owners manual I have states 'two speed'.

Hope the car is coming along well Evan!

Paul

ItalCarGuy

Yep, Paul is right. Here is a scan of the S1 OM I had.

http://www.alfa-male.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1750-GT-Veloce-S1_1330.pdf

Must have happened sometime in '67 as I have a '67 Super manual that also states 2 speed but the '66 Super manual doesn't.

Evan Bottcher

Pancho already knows this, but the part # listed in my 1968 parts manual is Bosch "0 390 326 002".  This is a three-wire motor.  Word on the AlfaBB is the three-wire motors could be one-speed or two-speed, but I haven't confirmed that.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

ItalCarGuy

In my Sprint GT/ Veloce PM it has WS13/2H32 as the Bosch number for the motor assembly and the same Alfa part number as shown in Evan's 1750 PM.

cjheath

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on March 19, 2012, 09:46:51 PM
Pancho already knows this, but the part # listed in my 1968 parts manual is Bosch "0 390 326 002".  This is a three-wire motor.  Word on the AlfaBB is the three-wire motors could be one-speed or two-speed, but I haven't confirmed that.

Wish someone could show me how to rewire the switch on mine so I get two speeds again. I used to have two, before the console was incorrectly removed (not by me). There's too many tabs and wires, must be hundreds of combinations... which is the right one? Or is my motor faulty?

pancho

Ok, do how do we test then?

Mines a 66 - and I have the actual bosch motor - are the toggle switch part numbers the same?

giulia_veloce

Bench testing a 3 wire wiper motor with a battery.
Using car jumper leeds,earth out the wiper motor and use the 3 wires on the positive terminal as discussed below

3 wire 105 early wiper motor
3 wires= Red,White + Green

Wiper motor earthed
Green wire= fast speed
Join Green + White= slow speed
Red = park,,in a certain position

Red wire will rotate,stop,rotate,stop,which is normal on bench testing.
When fitted to the car,,the drag on the windscreen will stop it,,but on its own= rotate,stop,rotate,stop etc
The wipers park at the bottom of the screen,so bench testing will give the above symptoms.

The above test using a NOS wiper motor.

Robert

giulia_veloce

105 coupe wiper motors

64=67 1300 + 1600 usually 1 speed
68= 1750 series 1 onwards = 2 speed

Im usually right,,but not always

1 speed wipers,on car with 2 position switch= off + on= are usually 2 speed wiper motors anyway,but only use 1 speed.

Robert

Evan Bottcher

Picked up some parts from Pancho.  The 1750 boot badge is a very good used example, completely straight and perfect.  The reproduction badges available are not correct at all, and mine was bent so it's great to get this.

The windscreen wiper motor is a correct NOS unit, to replace the non-originale motor that was in the car – from an Alfetta I think, and the self-parking did not work.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: giulia_veloce on March 21, 2012, 05:25:18 AM
Bench testing a 3 wire wiper motor with a battery.
Using car jumper leeds,earth out the wiper motor and use the 3 wires on the positive terminal as discussed below
<snip...>

I never said thank you Robert for doing the bench test.  I hope it helps other people understand the wiring and troubleshoot their wipers!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

giulia_veloce

All good Evan

I wonder how many tried the bench test.
Happy to help when I can.
Need more updates on your car Evan.
Its great reading.

Even stories of you polishing stuff in the lounge room while watching TV.

In my very early days,when space was limited,I assembled my race engine on the billiard table at home.
Dad was a builder,so form ply n plastic were put on top of the table first.
Mum n dad were overseas
Then many other times,,I would polish the Giulia Super NOS ,full 1 piece grille,while watching TV with the oldies.
When finished,it would go back on the wall in the study.
Its now in my office here at work.
Dad was never a car person,and could never understand why

Robert

Evan Bottcher

*coff coff there's dust on this thread*

I got a parcel back from Franjo in Slovenia, who's restored a few parts for the GTV.  I came across Franjo's work on AlfaBB.com and he showed such passion and skill that I had to send him some parts.  He's done a brilliant job, and at a quite reasonable price really.  Other stainless parts will go to a local polisher.

Here's the GTV grille sections, painted and polished.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Here's the reverse light - as it was before, and then re-chromed.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV