Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

Evan - have you tried deoxidine?  I've had great success with it on alloy castings over the years for these types of stains. It's just a mild phosphoric acid mix. Wipe on, scrub with wire wool, wash off.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

Thanks Alister.  Where can you buy deoxidine?  I'll have a look at the usual places.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Fiddling with the pedals for the GTV.  These pedals have a pressed-in bronze bushing which wears and makes the pedals loose and rattly, and the brake pedal from our car was particularly bad.  Rather than hunt for a suitable bushing, I went through a box of old pedals until I found a decent brake pedal and cleaned it up.  I still need to drill out the hole for the push rod clevis pin as it has worn into an oval.  When that's done I can tackle getting the pedals through the rubber gaiter without splitting it (!).  I've read that the best way is lots of hot water, plastic bag over the pivot end of the pedal arms, lots of olive oil and some good luck.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Craig_m67

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on March 12, 2012, 09:57:46 AM
Thanks Alister.  Where can you buy deoxidine?  I'll have a look at the usual places.

Deoxidine is essentially (diluted) phosphoric acid. I bought some from the same place that sold me the epoxy primer.  Bunnings has a few equivalents at varying dilutions/conc.  I bought Ranex Rust Convertor from them which was priced best (by volume/conc.).  It did exactly the same thing as deoxidine.  I need more as I didn't apply the epoxy first time round, and whilst deoxidine does convert and protect - it doesn't protect for very long if it gets wet again.

Supercheap does a 3m version too.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Evan Bottcher

Thanks Craig.  I was up at Bunnings today and picked up some of that Ranex.  Came home and noticed that I already had a VHT equivalent on the shelf :-/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

aggie57

Ha!  Doesnt that always happen!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

I came across some new clevis pins which fit very well and the holes aren't that out of round, so I decided to put the thing together.  Lots of hot water on the rubber, then plastic bags over the pedal bases, lots of olive oil, and pushed them through.  POP!  I really thought that the rubber would rip, but it didn't.  Happy with that.  Lots of heavy grease on the shafts and bolted it together.

Go on you dirty minded folk.  I dare ya.

P.S. this rubber gaiter was supplied by Highwood Alfa.  I've heard that there are different suppliers, some rip and some don't.  This one didn't.  This time.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

pancho

Lube, rubber, boots and Alfa.

Lucky I don't have a safe search filter enabled on my computer.  ;D

Looks great Evan, how long did you boil the gasket for and how much force to pop the pedals through?

DaveT

I love the picture of the pedals on the chopping board on the SPAM bench...brilliant...and the olive oil, very fitting.

I used my parents inner city courtyard as a spray booth once. I painted all of the 'black bits' off my Fiat Spider in there...for some reason my folks didn't like the over spray shadows or the shiny black pot plants, don't know why.
DaveT & Bertie - 67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Previous belligerent Italians:
92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: pancho on March 13, 2012, 10:55:20 PMhow long did you boil the gasket for and how much force to pop the pedals through?

Two kettles of boiling water, for about 5 minutes.  Slippery plastic bag and lots of olive oil.  Much more force than I expected, put the pedal down on the chopping board and both hands pulling hard down on the rubber.  Bang!  But it didn't split.  I hope I have such luck with the petrol tank filler rubber cover...

Quote from: DaveT on March 14, 2012, 02:44:45 PM...for some reason my folks didn't like the over spray shadows or the shiny black pot plants, don't know why.

I was cleaning up the fuel hard line the other day and gave it a coat of silvery enamel rattle can - later on I was thinking 'why is the wheelie bin all sparkly?'.  Hmm.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

giulia_veloce

Keep up the great work Evan

Join the painted wheely bin club also.
I think my 2 burmese cats hide the toothbrushes at my home also.

I heard your headlight rim went for a race of Phillip Island in a Grp S race with Phil B (58)

Robert

alfagtv58

Quote from: giulia_veloce on March 16, 2012, 06:24:33 AM
I heard your headlight rim went for a race of Phillip Island in a Grp S race with Phil B (58)

Evan,

I thought my ineptitude was our little secret.....
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

giulia_veloce

Oi Phil

Its all good
The headlight ring has been around the Philip Island race circuit flat out by you.
Before that is was on Jetstar at 800kph and 20,000 ft
Sorry,,ineptitude is a word beyond me.
Is that word a cousin of Altitude

Anyway,,Evan,,take the diff centre casing and get it soda blasted.
Some items are not worth the hassle of skin off fingers.
Or you can also try some trade quality Mag Wheel cleaner,as the stuff you buy off the shelf is too mild.
Maybe go to an auto detailer and buy 1 litre off him,or just soda blast it.

Robert

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: giulia_veloce on March 16, 2012, 01:11:47 PM
Anyway,,Evan,,take the diff centre casing and get it soda blasted.
Some items are not worth the hassle of skin off fingers.

Yep you're probably right - but I set myself a challenge to see if I could do it!  Pretty much done with now, you could eat off the alloy casing if you're that way inclined.  The engine alloy parts I will probably get vapour blasted when I get there.  Next part is to tidy up the axle tubes, disc backings etc and paint them black.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

I pulled apart, cleaned up and painted the window wiper mechanism, and greased the pivot points.  The motor I have is I think from an Alfetta with a 5-wire plug.  Now I know why the wipers didn't self-park.  The original motor is a 3-wire plug, I'm still not sure if it was one-speed or two?  (Pancho says definitely one speed, should I trust him?)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV