Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

The original tank in our GTV was rusted badly, and was also a 2-litre tank (taller and deeper).  Sam renewed this 1750 tank for us, and it looks great with stone-guard on the underside and gloss black on top.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

pancho

This car will be a shame to take out and get dirty Evan!

What did you choose with regards to the ipod setup ? Glovebox or similar hidden install ?

Sportscar Nut

Evan

Been away for a while so just catching up on your updates.

Dash looks great and slightly familiar?. 1750 glove boxes are made for the sound system as IMO, the dash looks beautiful (even without a period radio). Cool petrol tank too!

Regards
Paul

PS Can you recommend a strong Sud clutch as the pressure plate in mine collapsed yesterday!

Evan Bottcher

Hey Paul,

Yep the dash was yours - thanks for that!  I still need to get the repair at the front done.

Agreed on the stereo - if I fit something it'll be hidden in the glovebox, and probably just a little ipod amp from ebay.

Sorry not sure on the Sud clutch, I'd be interested in the answer however - post a question in the 900 series forum, you might get an answer from Messrs Musco and Pignataro?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Haven't had much to post on here recently... still waiting for a space in the workshop for the car to go into.

I received these photos from Lionel Velez (http://classicwiring.com/) who has remade the wiring loom for the GTV.  The loom is matched perfectly with correct wire colours and markings.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

The body is finally at the workshop!  Just a couple of crappy iPhone photos, I'll take some good shots of the headlining and other trim bits when I get down there with the real camera.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

giulia_veloce

Looking great Evan

Will be even greater once the NOS parts start being added.
Keep the story + picture comming= motivating many of us.

Robert

pancho

How does it feel to have it at this stage Evan and what tasks will you take on yourself?

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: pancho on November 05, 2011, 04:58:03 PM
How does it feel to have it at this stage Evan and what tasks will you take on yourself?

Feels quite daunting, especially given how nice the car looks right now with nothing bolted to it...

I'm not sure exactly what jobs I'll do myself, I'd like to do as much as I can, but I'm realistic about my own abilities and also want to have a car at some stage.  My friends Bruno, Giancarlo, and John at Maranello Pur Sang keep things moving for me and I'll do as much as I can make time to do.

In simple terms: I'll have a crack at anything, but don't want things to stop moving because I don't have time or ability.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

So the 1750 GTV is safely in place at the workshop ready to start some assembly.  Here's some photos of the handiwork of the trimmer – the headlining fitted, and some of the vinyl edge strips and covers replaced.  Next steps will be the suspension, floor deadening, wiring loom (on it's way back from Lionel Velez), and brake lines.  No hurry.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Davidm1600

Hey Evan, it is really looking good.  Will be so good to get to put it all together, such a long way now in condition from where you started. A credit to all.  It certainly is keeping some nice company there in the workshop. 

Out of curiosity, and definitely not wishing to be critical, I was wondering why you chose Lionel for the new wiring loom.  Could it not be done locally?  I only ask, as I too enquired about getting him to make me a loom for my Giulia Super, and apart from having to send him my old one, the price was something of a shock. I hadn't expected it to be so high.  Is this normal for wiring ??
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pancho

I know Evan will respond accordingly but I believe you will be hard pressed to find someone as good as Lionel for wiring, from what I researched he is very renowned for this type of work. He uses original style connectors, original wiring, wrapping and accessories to create a better than new loom - from your original. For $1300-1500 for a new loom (now US$1600)- remember to factor in that he probably spends about 10-16 hours creating the loom and then add in the cost of materials. With what is involved I personally don't consider it expensive for a top quality item.

http://classicwiring.com/index.html

Davidm1600

Hi Pancho, I don't disagree, it is just that Lionel quoted $1800, which in my mind (and bearing in mind I have no idea of an alternative costing for comparative purposes), was a lot of money.  I am not questioning the extent of work or even perhaps value, it is simply at this time it is too much for my meagre resources.  Hence was wondering if there might be an alternative anyone was aware of.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pancho

sorry to hijack Evan's thread. Yes, you can save yourself a lot of cash if you buy the wire and connectors and do it yourself of course. At the end of the day it's mainly time that is the expensive part. Measuring, cutting, stripping, crimping and soldering ect. But that's the case with so much of a cars restoration as Evan and you would know. If you're strapped for time/space/skills then there is no choice but to not buy the wife a birthday and xmas present and get your wiring done - plus the car is a comfy place to sleep.