Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItalCarGuy

That is interseting! Always thought they were Sprint GT only, might be interested in your old lights as my backs are cracked. By the parts manual I have the metal back ones with the large reflector had a 10502 part number and came in carello or Altissimo and the plastic back was a 10536 part only by Carello at the time of print of my manual (1966). Anyway I should stop bumping up Evan's thread post number! :P

ACP

FWIW mine has one metal and one plastic....

Not sure which is original.... :o

AP
Alfa 1967 Gulia GT Veloce 1600

pancho

I think my old ones might have a crack in the metal, I'll check when I'm down south next time. The new ones I have here:

are exactly what I have on the car now - just new - perhaps my car had the plastic units replaced at some stage in its life.

So Evan - what is the next stage? How is the trimming coming along?

Do you have the original radio with the car ? where is the antennea hole ?

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: pancho on August 11, 2011, 03:28:46 PM
So Evan - what is the next stage? How is the trimming coming along?

Do you have the original radio with the car ? where is the antennea hole ?

The shell should go to the trimmer next week to get the headlining in, then it'll be wheeled over to Maranello Pur Sang and we can start turning it back into a rolling shell.  Steering box and rear axle need to be reconditioned before going back in.

I need to go and rescue the engine and gearbox out of storage and start stripping the engine.  Have been given a suggestion on a place to do cleaning of the engine block and head etc. which is meant to return them as good as new.

I won't be installing a radio, and I asked Sam to fill the antenna hole which was on the front left guard.  I think I'll fit a small ipod amplifier in the glovebox, but haven't got far with that thinking.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Evan - Sheldon has my engine stand and as far as I know he is done with it.

You're welcome to borrow it. It's the type that bolts up to the side mounts and rotates 360'
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

Thanks Alister.  I picked up a cheap 105 engine stand through this forum a couple of months ago.  Will see how it goes, thanks for the offer.

I acquired a new set of front and rear springs.  The fronts are from Vin (PACE) and will lower the car about an inch from standard.  The rears are stock NOS springs that were sitting on the shelf at Maranello Pur Sang.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

pancho

Great idea Evan, I am also deleting the radio and going with an ipod in the glovebox type audio system, easy to hide, lightweight and current technology - you can even get radio functionality with them nowdays. I am looking at some bass shakers to provide some low fill/feel and mount them under the seats to the car body- there are some good 4" speakers that you should be able to hide up under the dash and your car probably has the large centre speaker hole that you could mount something there and have the dash pad over the top of it perhaps.

Did you order the headliner from the UK or getting it made/supplied here ?

I'd be interested in your block cleaner as I'd like to get my gbox glass blasted as well as the diff housing.

Evan Bottcher

The dash on the 1750 is quite different, with no speaker hole on top like yours.  There are two factory speaker holes either side of the centre console, which I'll use with some small speakers.  I have original factory speaker grilles to fit there, so it'll look quite subtle I hope.

The headlining kit came from Alfaholics, in the correct 'snakebite' pattern.

cheers, Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

cjheath

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 12, 2011, 10:51:38 PM
There are two factory speaker holes either side of the centre console, which I'll use with some small speakers.  I have original factory speaker grilles to fit there, so it'll look quite subtle I hope.

The actual sound projection from this location couldn't be much worse, unfortunately, and there's really no-where else you can easily hide front speakers, even small tweeters, without them standing out like a sore thumb. At least we have that fabulous engine to listen to  :) My main speakers are mounted in the panels beside the rear seat, instead of the ash trays.

AikenDrum105

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

alfagtv58

I'm gunna miss the Monday morning updates now it has left Sams place  :'(

Evan maybe you should post some random shots for all of us living vicariously through your resto  ;D

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Davidm1600

Quote from: cjheath on August 13, 2011, 03:00:15 PM
Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 12, 2011, 10:51:38 PM
There are two factory speaker holes either side of the centre console, which I'll use with some small speakers.  I have original factory speaker grilles to fit there, so it'll look quite subtle I hope.

The actual sound projection from this location couldn't be much worse, unfortunately, and there's really no-where else you can easily hide front speakers, even small tweeters, without them standing out like a sore thumb. At least we have that fabulous engine to listen to  :) My main speakers are mounted in the panels beside the rear seat, instead of the ash trays.

True  but nethertheless, with two speakers in either the back parcel shelf (where they can get cooked :) ) or/alternatively in the rear side panels, from my experience the ones in the front console really don't matter all that much.  Just fill in a little of the sound
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: cjheath on August 13, 2011, 03:00:15 PM

Hmm.  You're probably right.  I don't really feel like cutting my rear panels or parcel shelf yet.  I think I'll probably just end up without any stereo for now.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: alfagtv58 on August 15, 2011, 12:09:38 PM
Evan maybe you should post some random shots for all of us living vicariously through your resto  ;D

I can do that.  Here's some of my wiring loom, which is now in Texas to be renewed by Lionel Velez (http://www.classicwiring.com/).  Shame about the Aussie dollar...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

...and this metal trim which I got the other day thanks to a kind benefactor.  Chocolate fish for the first to identify it?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV