Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

Fantastico !!  Looks wonderful. Yep as others have said now for the fun part of putting it all together and that first drive to look forward to.  Hope to be there myself one day.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

dfrye

Hi Evan, car looks great.

Re the splashguards, I bought just the rubbers for the guards from classicalfa. They send me an H profile and a V profile so presumably one if for the forward guard and the other for the guard behind the front wheel.

Since you bought the entire guard with the rubber fitted, would you mind letting me know which rubber profile goes on which guard?

thanks,
dean

Evan Bottcher

I'll take some detail photos tonight Dean.  I also have my old splashguards for reference.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Here's some detail of the long splashguard behind the front wheel.  It has a H-shaped rubber profile.  First two are of the original, second two are of the repro replacement.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Here's a shot of the wider splashguard that goes in front of the front wheel.  It has an V-shaped rubber profile.  I only have the repro to be fitted, originals were not on the car when we acquired it.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

dfrye

Thanks Evan, that makes it clear.

Much appreciated.

//dean

Evan Bottcher

Received from Italy a pair of NOS mk1 GTV taillights complete with lenses.  I feel quite fortunate to have gotten hold of these, they do not seem to come up very often.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

pancho

Very tasty - metal backed housings. Nice work!

On a side note of rear panels - do all the small light rear panels have the same 3 bolt tail light mounting points/holes ? I have heard/read somewhere that they are not the same to the early cars with the small tail lights.

Ash Gordon

Evan,

These are different to my taillights. The inner reflector is much smaller and has chrome trim ?

cheers Ash
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: pancho on August 10, 2011, 06:07:09 PM
Very tasty - metal backed housings. Nice work!

The backings are actually in two parts - a pot metal light housing, riveted to the main plastic body which is chromed.  Specific to the mk1 1750 GTV only.

Quote from: pancho on August 10, 2011, 06:07:09 PM
On a side note of rear panels - do all the small light rear panels have the same 3 bolt tail light mounting points/holes ? I have heard/read somewhere that they are not the same to the early cars with the small tail lights.

I'm not sure if the holes vary - Sam test fitted all my lights and various bits of trim to ensure everything fitted perfectly before paint.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

ItalCarGuy

Well that is very interesting that the pot metal backings are correct for the 1750 S1 even after the earlier 1600 GT Veloce went to a plastic backing. A great detail to note for the 1750 S1 purists

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Ash Gordon on August 10, 2011, 10:48:50 PM
These are different to my taillights. The inner reflector is much smaller and has chrome trim ?

As far as I can work out, the stepnose GTs and the mk2 1750s used the taillights that you've got.  They have a square reflector.  They seem to have come in many variants - made by Carello and Altissimo.  Some are pot metal, some are plastic, some are two-piece lenses, some are one-piece, some have the chrome moulded into the plastic lense, others have the chrome on the backing.  I'm not an expert, but there's plenty of advice on the Alfabb.com.

Here's a useful search: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=correct+rear+lights+site%3Awww.alfabb.com%2Fbb%2Fforums%2Fgt-1965-1974%2F

In any case - the tail lights I've got are specific to mk1 1750 GTVs only.  They are slightly larger than the square reflector units, and require a specific rubber seal to the body (which I have repro of now).
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Derek Entesano on August 11, 2011, 09:51:45 AM
Well that is very interesting that the pot metal backings are correct for the 1750 S1 even after the earlier 1600 GT Veloce went to a plastic backing. A great detail to note for the 1750 S1 purists

A couple of shots attached of my old housings.  The main chromed part is plastic, not pot metal.  You can see here that the chrome is peeling away from the plastic on this old housing.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Just for the record, it seems that Altissimo also made a version of the mk1 long-reflector tail light.  Looks almost identical to the Carello version.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1965-1974/151484-nos-1750-gtv-s1-rear-lenses-value.html

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

pancho

Interestingly Derek, my old taillights are the metal backed Altissimo units. Car built in '66 as a GT Veloce.

I've seen another nos set of those rear lights Evan, if you even need another set let me know and I'll search for them again.