Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krishnan Pasupathi

Hi Evan,

The car looks like its coming along pretty damn well! Should be fantastic when its finished.

With regards to the Nylocks. Personally I wouldn't re-use them, there are varying opinions regarding re-use after they have been installed and removed (some manuals specify replacement if they are torqued up and then removed, but the actually shouldn't be damaged by this). But consider that they are 35+ years old and plating chemicals/heating during plating can do nasty things to polymers.

But as always that's just one mans opinion!!

Evan Bottcher

I think you're all right - there's actually not that many nylocs on the car, I think I'll bag them up and get some replacements.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Sam is back to work on the GTV with gusto.  Finished the RH sill panel, B-pillar, and primed the rear guard.  Also fixed a couple of low spots on the roof (which I couldn't even see!).  Working on fitment and gapping of the doors.  The door hinges are re-bushed, and a few minor bumps smoothed out in both door skins.  I brought around the new door handles for trial fitting, and the mirror to pick the correct location.  Derek has this handy reference for factory mirror placement.

Lots of work still to go – RH front guard, front panel and upper radiator panel, and the rear panel – but it's great to see this progress.

Some more photos here: http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/06/1750-gtv-june-2011/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Mark Baigent

Great thread Evan - reminds me of the years i put into my GTV 2000 ...

A point at this stage worth considering is rust prevention. Given how much money and time has gone into getting rid of the last 40 years of rust invasion you can work against rust coming back in the next 40 years by using the best rust oils possible in every single cavity - this is the time to do it - bare shell stage - but make sure you blow out and vacuum out under high pressure, every piece of dust, iron filing, paint stripping medium etc etc first - then make sure you give plenty of "air" time to the rust oil once sprayed in to let it harden off ... then you can start refitting - do the same under all your stainless steel trims before refitting them - it's impossible to reinstall them without catching or scratching the paint on the butt seams - it just takes one scratch to lead to rust. I followed this process 16 years ago when doing my concours restoration on the advice of an "old world" panel beater and the car is still completely (cross fingers) rust free. Keep up the great work - every restored 105 is a joy to see ! 

Evan Bottcher

Got a question - the attached picture is of the driver's side footwell on the GTV.  I've highlighted four little screw holes.  Any guess what they're for?  Not the windscreen washer footpump, that's up higher next to the steering column.

Probably something PO, and I'll ask Sam to weld the holes.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Davidm1600

I don't suppose it is for the footrest ??  Otherwise yes I suspect you are right re the PO.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Mark Baigent

Those 4 little screw holes aren't from the factory Evan .... though these cars as with most Alfas older than the 90's were renowned for many variations between the same models, such as where carpet screws were put, bolt types used, etc etc, and even which switches and ancillaries were used depending on which parts bin they had next to them on the assembly line at the time ... weld them up ! 

massiveluvbuddy67

Bravo Evan, Fi and Jack...do I get a drive though when it is done?  ;D

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Phil Nash on June 19, 2011, 06:10:21 PM
...do I get a drive though when it is done?  ;D

That goes without saying, Phil.  Shame there was no break today, or you could have experienced the mighty 75!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Davidm1750 on June 19, 2011, 11:19:20 AM
I don't suppose it is for the footrest ??

Did these cars come with a footrest?  I don't see any reference in the parts manual, and there wasn't one in there.  I only ask because someone else asked me if the holes were for 'the' footrest.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

cjheath

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on June 19, 2011, 09:30:04 PM
Quote from: Davidm1750 on June 19, 2011, 11:19:20 AM
I don't suppose it is for the footrest ??
Did these cars come with a footrest?

My '69 had no footrest, but having just recently fitted one, I can definitely say they should have had one. So much easier to brake effectively, and my foot doesn't mangle the vinyl on the console shroud any more.

AikenDrum105

None on the '71 S2 either - but +1 on the footrest idea - always ends up pinned at an angle between the clutch and the tunnel on long trips :)  I guess because the tunnel is offset to the RHS - there's less room for that stuff on RHD cars....

Might have been for a headlight dipper Evan ....

*cough*   Supers, of course,  have a footrest...  They drew the line at the Corgi and the Bowler hat though, thankfully ;p

Supers also come with a bootlid that opens just far enough to catch you on the forehead as you lean in,  and rake you up the back of the head with the latch when you straighten up...
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Mark Baigent

They didn't come with a footrest for either LHD's or RHD's Evan.

Some came with a foot pad on the carpet depending on which day your car was made but most came with nothing.
As an aside have you ever noticed the difference in widths between the outer edge of the seat and the outer edge of the sill on the left and right front side of the car.? There are lots of subtle differences because of the left hand drive bias in design. In RHD 105's the passenger sits further from the door than the driver.

The Giulia Supers however as 'AikenDrum' mentions did come with footrests - a really good one - and held in by just two BIG screws - one top and one bottom. Seems the leisurely sedan driver needed something to convince others they were also driving a sports car !   

john m

Evan,

I reckon the four holes on the side of the tunnel are for fastening down the main console "wings". Every time the gearbox comes out, the console is also removed, but its not always easy to find the original screw hole because of the carpet and underlay, so a new hole is drilled. Check the other side of the tunnel, how dose it compare? I also belive that the biggest hole is probably the original one due to overtightening. The screws were 10 Gauge, my S1 1750 also has a few holes on each side, extra ones made by me nodoubt. Keep up the good work Evan.
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import