Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Pretty much destroyed the 'budget' for the first half of this year, but I've got the bulk of the non-mechanical parts now.  Time to collect the engine from where it's been resting for 10+ years and strip it down.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

I put an update on my website with some graphic photos of rusty sills...

http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/02/1750-gtv-%E2%80%93-february-2011-3/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

I renewed a part for the GTV.  In other news, sand blasters are awesome.  A chocolate fish to the first person to identify the part.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Where the heck do all these go?  I think they are a rough approximation of the correct stickers, probably some only on US delivered cars.  The bottom right white sticker I think is a 'running in guide' that would have been on the windscreen.  The paint code sticker looks v. nice.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

branko.gt

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 18, 2011, 10:50:08 PM
I renewed a part for the GTV.  In other news, sand blasters are awesome.  A chocolate fish to the first person to identify the part.
a chocolate fish ?!?!?!
you should find something harder, that is a rego light bracket that sits inside a read bumper bar.

Barry Edmunds

Bracket that holds the number plate lights and is attached to the body, just below the bumper bar.
Now can I claim the chocolate fish?
Barry

Evan Bottcher

Nope. Branko beat you by 10 hours.   8)

It bolts to the rear bumper.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

LH inner sills and A/B pillar bottoms are now looking pretty good.

http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/02/1750-gtv-february-2011-5/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

cjheath

Getting there! I dropped in to see Sam's work on your car a week ago, and to show him the finished result of his early work in repairing my car.

Evan Bottcher

Nice ad.  You wouldn't see a car ad these days depicting so much body roll...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: cjheath on February 20, 2011, 04:29:24 PM
Getting there! I dropped in to see Sam's work on your car a week ago, and to show him the finished result of his early work in repairing my car.

Cheers Clifford.  I noted from this post on alfabb that our cars were only 101 numbers apart.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Not a lot of action at the moment, Sam is busy working on a mobile home (!) so no action this week on the body repairs.  I blasted and painted the trunnion arm, and it's put aside ready for new bushes and reassembly.  It's satisfyingly clean.  I'm now looking forward to getting the rest of the suspension and steering gear off the car and cleaning and painting it.

I also received a NOS number plate mount.  Why did I buy that?  This stuff is addictive.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

cjheath

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 27, 2011, 11:12:34 PM
I also received a NOS number plate mount.  Why did I buy that?

I can't easily answer that, nor why I put up with one on my car for years. They're damn ugly on cars with Australian number plates - more the correct size for those huge UK plates. In fact I wonder how many Australian-delivered cars even had them? Anyhow, I finally ditched it, and bent a small aluminium bracket to refit it, just two bolts to the body and two to the bottom of the plate. Nothing more is needed.

pep105

Mine had one as well it was black with the Alfa Romeo script, should've got the panel beater to weld up the four holes in rear panel so I could fit a small bracket as it cleans up the rear end a bit.
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Evan Bottcher

Visited Sam's workshop, and he's finished repairing the right-hand inner sills and A and B pillars.  The B-pillar repair section from Classic Alfa looks very good.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV