Wondering if anyone in Vic can help me - need someone to test drive a car for me

Started by baradhili, October 11, 2009, 08:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baradhili

I've asked for the log books etc.. will see how.. nevertheless if you have the chance it would be good to test drive the melb one ...

Thanks

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

dehne

checked it out for you today where should i start
* body is straight but paint is pretty scratched with a few big scraches
* interior is good but parts of seats and trims are damaged (leather)
* engine is clean but there is a really bad grinding noise ( they say all the 156 selespeeds do this)  then (as i drove mine down i agued the point then proved the point) he said he will get it checked could be water pump
* recovery bottle has a white substace with in
* service history is has been checked every 20,000 untill approx 140,000 in 10/2008 is now at 164,000ish
* will take $9500
other than above car is nice has cruise control
* it is a mar 2001 built
personally i would pay no more than $7500 for it as i would be concerned about the engine noise
hope this help you
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

baradhili

Dehne,
this is fantastic stuff... Based on your review I'll scratch my head a bit and make an offer.. You are right, some of those symptoms don't sound good..

Much appreciated.

Bret

baradhili

Made an offer via ebay, got an automatic rejection ....

So I guess back to waiting and looking. Thanks everyone!

John Hanslow

Any used car can have issues, you just have to determine how the car has been looked after and serviced.  This means regular servicing at least every 10k, or 5k to make sure. 

My specific mechanical knowledge is limited but I make the following valid points:

1. White substance in the recovery bottle means oil on water, i.e. the head is cracked or the gasket needs replacing.  That costs money.

2. The owners handbook & sticker on window above driver warns to check oil level regularly.  Confirmed oil usage by the factory can be 1 litre per 1000kms, so you run the engine dry of oil and stuff it up. Waiting for a service as per the book is the Alfa delima and it could (but not necessarily) be a real risk to the well being of the car.  If the oil level warning light comes on the Twin Spark variator is already damaged.  This was all covered previously in the twin spark review in Auto Italia.  The cams wear out too.

It would seem like the car was not well respected but run on a budget.

Cheers

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

AGM155

Quote from: baradhili on October 16, 2009, 04:41:26 PM

So I guess back to waiting and looking. Thanks everyone!

This is the best way to shop for a used Alfa I think...be patient...you'll know when the right car comes up.

baradhili

Yup.. waiting waiting :)...
Think I'm going to test drive some manuals tomorrow in Perth - just see if the manual version is as bothersome as I think.. hehe if its not, then at least my choice opens up a bit :) (and no selespeed to worry about ;) )

I'm got a wanted listed on the buy/sell forum now...

baradhili

Got another car in Vic if someone would like to test drive it for me.... No pics, have NFI what it really looks like, but advertiser claims its fantastic (have you seen one that doesn't?)

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7768386

I'll be contacting the seller and trying to get details...

Cheers

Bret