Rear Springs

Started by Tim Jobson, October 05, 2009, 10:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Jobson

When removing my old springs from my GTV2000, not only did I notice that they both were broken, the old ones were longer than the ones I purchased from Kings Springs who describe their rear springs for 105s as a sport spring.

Will these new springs make much difference to the ride height as I origionally just wanted to keep the height as standard as possible?     Will i need to shorten my new axle straps because of this?

Thanks

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

Tim Jobson

I was surprised that they were not the same length as origional, King Springs only sell rear springs for 105s and they list them as standard length??

I hope my car will not look too bum heavy as the front is still stock standard!

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

105s alive alfa parts

Hi Tim,

I brought the same sports king springs for my car, it did lower it a bit but they are a higher pound rate spring so that means even though they are shorter they will not compress as much as the origanal springs, but yes you still have to shorten the strap, if it lowers it too much you can make or buy spacers for the rears to bring it up a little, cheers

Ang
1970 1750 Concourse
1971 1750 (modified club racer)
1965 mustang fastback (i crossed to the dark side)
Wrecking: 3x 1750 series 2 gtv, 1750 Berlina

Tim Jobson

Hi Ang, I will also be fitting new Koni yellows and have them set at 1/2 turn clockwise from full soft (which I think is fully anticlockwise) for the rear and one full turn clockwise on the fronts.   Have you any experience with setting Koni yellows?

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

105s alive alfa parts

Hi Tim,

i have only set the yellow konis on a racing 105, and for that one i made the rear soft as possible and the front if i remember right as it was a while ago was about 2 turns clockwise as i think it was around 5-6 turns in total so it was just under half way, so what you have set them at already should be just about spot on for the road, if you leave them at where you have them now and drive it for a bit you can always make the adjustment again but i would leave them like that, also with my king springs after about a month or so it dropped down just a little more at the rear with the spring sag from new which is fairly normal so keep that in mind also, cheers
Ang
1970 1750 Concourse

adriank

Tim, i went though all the details on springs for my 74 1600 Junior earlier in the year. Koni only make the rear springs as you say, if you need front spings then you you will need to have them made. This might be required since you are replacing the rears and the car might not be level afterwards.

I would recommend getting new fronts if you are replacing te rears. If you are in sydney All Springs in moorebank are cheap and happy to reset the springs if the height isn't right first time (also a high possibility).

shock wise koni yellows are the go in my opinion.

Adrian
'74 GT 1600 Junior
'00 Kawasaki W650 (daily drive)

Tim Jobson

Thanks Adrian, I am not sure if you are talking about resetting spring height for the fronts or rears.

I can see why the rears tend to rust out, it is probably caused by the plastic sleeve fitted to them when new, good for keeping them nice and moist!

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

adriank

i suppose it could be either needing to be reset. However if you replace the rear set you may find the fronts dont match up either with height or general ride feel since the new rear springs will most likely ride a bit stiffer. AK
'74 GT 1600 Junior
'00 Kawasaki W650 (daily drive)

Gary Pearce

Vin Sharp at Pace Engineering has the correct front and rear springs for 105's He has them in normal, fast road and racing.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Tim Jobson

Thanks for that Gary, once the car is re-assembled I will see if the front springs need replacing and if so, I now know where to get them.

My progress has holted due to problems trying to get a suitable double flare brake pipe tool to make up new pipes so that I can fit my new adjustable pressure regulating valve!

Regards

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

jg1053

Tim,
Have a look at Eastwood Co. in the USA for a double flaring tool. I bought one of their tools. A bit XXy but the results are far superior than anything else I have tried, other than professionals.
Jim

105s alive alfa parts

Check out EBAY, there is plenty on there for not bad prices,

Ang
1970 1750 Concourse

Tim Jobson

Thanks guys, I have managed to purchase a Double Flare tool from my local brake shop for $99 that looks like it will do the job on steel brake lines.    The advantage of this tool is that it is a once piece job that reduces the chance of misalignment when trying to line up the flaring tool tip and the brake pipe.    I will have a go at fitting new double flares this weekend and hopefully have my rear brake system back together soon.

I have one side of my rear suspension reassembled with new springs and Konis, the rear trailing arms and sway bar look great now that they are painted with POR15!

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

Tim Jobson

At long last she is finally on her wheels and she does have a slight bum heavy look due to the new rear springs, which means at some later stage I will probably have to get new shorter springs for the front.

I was also delighted to be able to take it for its first drive since buying her 14 months ago.  Happy that the brakes seem to be OK allbeit they could do with another bleed, I am not sure how much brake pedal travel is normal when braking and also not sure how well the servos are meant to ease the brake pressure?

I followed the manuals recommendations in loading the car up with weight before torque setting the rear suspension bolts.    I dont know how others do it but I found the lack of room under the car make it almost impossible to torque the bolts up.     I had my wife and daughter sitting the the front seats while I wrestled with the torque wrench, complaining about the heat until they saw my face full of sweat!

I hope to get her reregistered in time for our Feb Italian car day.

Tim

1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

Tim Jobson

I always seem to pick it, this time I picked a day off from work to get my wheels aligned and then an DOT inspection for re-registration.....it just so happened to a 43deg day!!!!   

Not having driven the car more than up and down our street I had images of my car blowing steam out from the radiator parked somewhere out in the middle of no where, on the way to the one of the few pre-book in time DOT inspection places.

So I took the chance, carried heaps of water and some emergency tools, hoses and headed off.   In the end the car passed her inspection and made it back home (40min trip) with out any fuss....it was only me that was melting!!     So pleased the temp gauge sat around 85 deg and never went higher, I did not even have to put the heater on to help.

I am now on track to get her to the Italian Car day.   One thing that I would like to do is to lower the front suspension about 25mm as the new sport rear springs have given it a bum heavy look.    I have heard that putting a 10mm washer under the front spring pan bolts will lower the front by about 25mm...has anyone done this or is it better to wait and get new sport front springs even if the origional ones look and feel fine??

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000