3L 12 Valve Modification please!

Started by turboalfa, October 04, 2009, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david sammartino

i guess thats the problem with internet forums and for that matter stuff like sms messages. they sometimes can be misunderstood or not interpreted as they were meant to be. i personally vote for the good old letter lol it seams noone ever sends a letter to say hello anymore, its always just a bill. maybe i need a pen pal, like a prisoner or something hahaha
anyway i cant speak for everybody but i dont think anyone is putting you down, just opinions at the end of the day, im sure anything can be done just a matter of how much time and money you want to invest in to it, and if its worth it to YOU. i for one would like it if there were millions of really fast alfas going around. as for your project im sure youll decide on the right thing in the end, after taking all these things into acount.

Domenic

Hey Pep,

Thanks,

I have heaps, just some members don't like the look of them...

I dunno, since when was a naked chick with an alfa badge not nice to look at??

I guess the club members are getting a bit old......

oh well...i'll just keep them for my private collection.

JOHN G

turboalfa

Give us your budget, target, hp, and your intended use for the car then we can help you further.

However,you need to be realistic as the Ignis Group A GTV6 (2.5) only had 187-198 kW @ 7250 running 11.1 compression ratio.(75.0 kw/litre).

Don't forget it's all about the power to weight! 

John.
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: turboalfa on October 06, 2009, 12:33:56 AM
hey pep . i have pace extracters and they are coated in Hpc.:)  .. that gave it a lil bottom end torque it needed in the 2.5:) .. also dont mean to be rude .. but just the way the sheldon spoke , annoyed me . and made his response sound like he was having a go at me. and i cant stand people that just put people down instead of helping them through what they want and giving ideas... its all i asked for . was ideas

Wow, sorry you took it that way, and if you thought that was having a go then I seriously suggest you don't frequent too many other internet forums, cos that was nothing.

I was trying to give you some advice based on my experiences, next time I'll make sure and just tell you what you want to hear.

You'd do well to read David's comments carefully, he makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, good luck with the car, but if I were you I'd be spending money on getting some driving time, rather than horsepower. 

turboalfa

sorry sheldon... and david .your right. im just decided to put the 3 L in there with a full motec ECU or one of the other cheaper brands . and hopefully hit the small achievement im after. and john .. money isnt the option im just looking at ideas and what paths to go down. to get that extra horses. . and im not using the 2.5 remember. im using a 3l 12 valve. my uncle just bought a e36 m3. and i was supprise at the power it has . for a 3 L it had 230kw! . was very pleased . althought its close to 10 years newer.  and i just wanted to see if any1 can pull that kind of thing out of thses engines. was just curious. although his turbo charging the m3 . it will be just crazy after that. but yes i was just amazed at how much they pulled out of that engine. and for sure blueprinting etc will give me a few extra horses as well.
GTV6 3.0L

Sheldon McIntosh

For what you'd spend on a 12v and Motec you could just get a 24v......

Brad M

Quote from: turboalfa on October 06, 2009, 11:22:20 PM
for a 3 L it had 230kw!
Quote from: turboalfa on October 06, 2009, 11:22:20 PM
turbo charging the m3 . it will be just crazy after that.

I'd be interested in knowing the logic behind that, from all reports (without my alfa hat on here) the bmw is one of, if not the greatest 6 cylinder package available.

What's the intended use of the m3? I know this is a diversion from the topic and marque, but maybe you could post something into the off-topic section about it when it happens, like sheldon did with the m5 v10 into the e30 m3 (as great as it was, still a bit disturbing).

BTW: Enjoy you little project, whichever way you go.

Cheers
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

david sammartino

it has always been my opinion that the bmw engines are pretty impressive. my only problem with the bmws has always been the fact that every track day i have been too, and it may just be a co-incidence, but they never seem to do more then a few laps/sessions before coming into the pits with a 75-esque christmas tree warning on the dash, and going into limp home modes, and eventually seen limping home a bit after that. and then for the most part considering the amount of power they have the lap times arent exactly mind boggling but that could always just be the type of drivers that are attracted to those types of cars. therfore my point being that yes the m3 may have 230kw, be an excellent car with an excellent motor,  but will it last if it was driven all day in standard trim with an exceptional driver, maybe maybe not. now we add a turbo to the mix and i really doubt its the best idea, maybe for a drag car or a fast road car, but on the track i think itll be more of a 2-3 lap sort of car then go home, so for me dont really see the point of it all apart from bragging rights. having said all of this kudos for undertaking such a project and it would be quite an achievement bc even though we always see these things done overseas on the internet it must be remembered that these cars arent driven for 6 months of the year during their winter and it seems evrybody has 100000s to spend on their cars over there as all you see is carbon this and titanium that, so i hope your uncle has a deep wallet lol.

JOHN G

Just drop a 3.2 v6 24 v out of a 156 GTA in your GTV6 ;D.
You will have a car with approx 185 kW weighing around 1180 kg with a similar power to weight to your uncles e36 M3 230 kW 1460 kg's.(You can pick up these motors for $3500-$4000.00 with 50000km )

Just another option.
John

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: JOHN G on October 07, 2009, 08:55:28 PM

Just drop a 3.2 v6 24 v out of a 156 GTA in your GTV6 ;D.
You will have a car with approx 185 kW weighing around 1180 kg with a similar power to weight to your uncles e36 M3 230 kW 1460 kg's.(You can pick up these motors for $3500-$4000.00 with 50000km )

Just another option.
John

Where have you seen GTA motors for that sort of price?  If I'd been able to find one around that range, I probably wouldn't have rebuilt my 3.0 24v after its bearing failure... 24v V6s do go very nicely in a GTV6 though!

JOHN G

[/quote]

Where have you seen GTA motors for that sort of price?  If I'd been able to find one around that range, I probably wouldn't have rebuilt my 3.0 24v after its bearing failure... 24v V6s do go very nicely in a GTV6 though!
[/quote]

I can buy two at that price atm one with 50,000 and one with 62,000.
I will tell you after I buy the next one because you asked so nicely  ;)
Seriously,insurance auctions or wreckers jekyll and hyde I usually only look at side impact or rear impact cars you can buy the whole car for $4000.00 as a write off. There are two Alfisti making good money on ebay this way.

John
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

dehne

yeah they have about 40 wrecks now they had to move into a big shed and they are reasonably priced to
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

MD

My experience with Alfa cars over the years has been that it was one of the few makes that were affordable and you could drive them off the show room floor unmodified and experience sheer driving pleasure. Cars that had a balance of power, handling, brakes,feedback, gear ratios and that something special that I have still to define but nevertheless produced a goofy grin behind the wheel.

This is not by accident and culminates from the Alfa philosophy and very talented people behind the scenes. It is all about balance.

If anyone thinks they can outsmart the original balance and up the ante, they better be sure they have the wallet to match to create the upgrade package. The key point here being the word package. If the engine has too much power for the chassis, they may become the next statistic. On the other hand an underpowered chassis will simply frustrate. How often have we seen these simple points overlooked?

My suggestion is to work from the end plan back (whatever that is).
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0