3L 12 Valve Modification please!

Started by turboalfa, October 04, 2009, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboalfa

Ok i have a GTV6 and a 3L 12 valve is going in approx monday or tuesday. then rego by friday is the plan. now just a currious question. this should have around 160 kw correct?
What are some minor Modifications i can make to increase this at least another 40kw .. but leaving it NA . As i can not legal drive it turbo charged.

GTV6 3.0L

JOHN G

3.0 V6 12v   V6   2959 cc   141 kW (192 PS)   261 Nm (192 ft·lbf) @ 4900 rpm   8.1   230 km/h   1987–1989

3.0 V6 12v (cat)   V6   2959 cc   135 kW (184 PS)   261 Nm (192 ft·lbf) @ 4900 rpm   8.1   230 km/h    1990–1992

3.0 V6 12v Super   V6   2959 cc   132 kW (180 PS)   255 Nm (188 ft·lbf) @ 4400 rpm   8.0   230 km/h   1992–1995

3.0 V6 QV 12v   V6   2959 cc   147 kW (200 PS)   274 Nm (202 ft·lbf) @ 4400 rpm   7.7   237 km/h   1990–1992
Nope not 160 sorry
John.
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

JOHN G

Minor mods you can make for 40kw do not exist.

For example a set of 164 S cams will set you back a $1000.00 gives you about 5 to 7 hp there are no cheap ALFA mods.

John.

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

turboalfa

Im getting the engine out of a 164 . so im guessing its the 141kw one.  and ive heard the alfas dont tend to like to increase comp by shaving heads etc. does any1 know what a 164 3L 12 valve run? is it a 9 :1 comp?
GTV6 3.0L

turboalfa

also when i put the 3 Litre in , should i use a BMW 6 cyclinder AFM ? or my 2.5 one? ive heard the BMW AFM is the way to go?
GTV6 3.0L

Sheldon McIntosh

So you've upgraded the driveline, suspension, brakes and tyres, ready for the extra power?  

John is right, there are no cheap hp upgrades for a V6.  Go through Greg Gordon's site and do all the preventative maintenance he recommends before you do anything else, and you might get 5 hp, and that will cost bugger all.  He also has a section about putting the BMW AFM on.

Seriously dude, if you wanted a cheap car that goes fast in a straight line, you bought the wrong car.

And it sounds like you're quite young?  I would be getting some experience behind the wheel, and on the track, before I got any more power than a stock 3L.  But that's just me being an old git I suppose.

Good luck with it anyway mate.  Take it up the hills with the stock 3 litre engine and I think you'll find it has more than enough power.

Simon Aarons

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on October 04, 2009, 02:26:39 PM
Take it up the hills with the stock 3 litre engine and I think you'll find it has more than enough power.

You couldn't of said that any better. 3L are great on the road. As far as driveline/brakes and so on, they all handle the extra power with no worries. The only thing which would make a 3L even better is a twinspark gear box! Thats next on the list!!
1986 GTV6 3.0L

turboalfa

ok listen, Brakes and suspention are already done. except before any driveline becomes the issure i need the engine in there first. and because im dealing with a bunch of morons (MILANO MOTORS) . they keep extending the time for this engine its been 2 weeks and they dont even have the 164 they were going to pull it out off.

the only reason why i want around the 180k at the fly is so it just has tat extra kick when i bring it to the circuit not for any other reason.  Atm im driving a 166 and ill tell u know that 166 will blow the 2.5 in a staright line .. its not what im after if it was id keep on driving this. i just like to know i have it there. and i want to keep it as NA as possible. if i wanted big modifications i have Two Garret T4s sitting in the garage. And as far goes as experiences. theirs alot here. if u havent seen the 75 that was in the family . that had 425 hp and went to sandown a few times. Dad use to have a Black GTV 2 litre turbo charged with 350 horses. we use to have 2 alfa suds . a 1.8 liter and 2 litre. a 105 with around 400 hp. .. and various other alfas. So when it comes to alfas. its something we have a good idea about.. not saying we know everything but we do have some experience. if we didnt we wouldnt be doing the 3L conversion ourselves.
GTV6 3.0L

dehne

WHEN YOU GET THE ENGINE RING POWERCHIP AND GET THE TO PUT A CHIP IN IT MY MATE DID IT TO HIS 164 AND DIFFERENCE WAS HUGE IT MIGHT BE THAT BIT EXTRA YOU ARE AFTER
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

turboalfa

Dehne :) .. thank you i will have to llook into it :D .. do you have any idea how it works? just remapping or?
GTV6 3.0L

dehne

just remapped i think but ^#&( it was quick
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Domenic

It's a shame that 75 turbo with 400hp wasn't that quick

pep105

Hey turboalfa,
Who did you speak to at Milano? I know they can stuff around at times but they arent morons they can be pretty good, Marc is a good bloke but can be a grumby bastard, but he means well, if not speak to Vince, im sure they can help you out. Tell them Pep sent you  ;D (theyll probably tell you to get......only kidding!)

And with this GTV6 I understand youd like more sqiurt but even the standard 164 engine is good for 132kw and by modern standards a GTV6 isnt that heavy at 1180 - 1250kg (depending) which is the same as a new corolla or less than a 147. So youd get a power to weight of around 9.5 - 10kg/kw which is good going straight out of the box, and it should be a lot of fun, more than any modern car tham Ive driven lately. 180 kw at the flywheel will be expensive but maybe some massaging in the form of PACE extractors etc might losen a few HP, and add to the excitment.
Like I said to you last year when you wanted to turbo the Twinspark enjoy the car for what it is
Have you done many track days ?
Good luck let us know how you go 

Domenic - you always seem to have a great avatar pic !

Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

david sammartino

if you know it all, and you can do it all by yourselves, then why are you even asking...lol just my 2 bob. not having a go at you, but we were all once very young and thought we knew it all. ofcourse we all want the most power we can possibly get our hands on for as little cost and effort, but then we wake up and have to realise what we started with wasnt all that bad to begin with. think about it, less power equals less brekeages equals more driving time and isnt that what we all want. my race car is pretty quick and i too sometimes think to myself how good the old days of my 100hp 2l giuletta were. my opinion is the car is only as fast as the driver. now after saying all of that if i were you id simply begin with a simple freshen up while your new motor is out, with no real mods but just making sure its as fresh and reliable as you can get it, and make sure its actually making the standard 150rwhp. then id work out from there as my base while in the meantime you are driving the thing.

dom always a classic.

turboalfa

hey pep . i have pace extracters and they are coated in Hpc.:)  .. that gave it a lil bottom end torque it needed in the 2.5:) .. also dont mean to be rude .. but just the way the sheldon spoke , annoyed me . and made his response sound like he was having a go at me. and i cant stand people that just put people down instead of helping them through what they want and giving ideas... its all i asked for . was ideas
GTV6 3.0L