2009 David Nutter Ford Used Cars Yakkerboo Trial

Started by redalfaracing, October 02, 2009, 07:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redalfaracing

The supp regs are now out for the 2009 David Nutter Ford Used Cars Yakkerboo Trial run by PAC.
Included in this years trial is an introductory trial. The Keith Rawson Introductory Trial. If any one wants to have a go at a Rally/Trial it is an easy way to go. can do it in a road car on a ns licence. About 90 kms competitive all navigation. Just would need a car with reasonable ground clearance and some rally tyres.
28th November out of Willow Grove. Happy to give more details. Supp Regs Here ; http://www.pakenhamautoclub.org.au/sup_regs_19.html

Plus, if any one would like to have their very own spectator point we are looking for road closure officials.
no officials licence required just a deck chair , food , drink (and a camera.)
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Mat Francis

If i were to change the shock absorbers in the alfetta, reckon it would be right to enter? Also, is there a source anywhere of used rally tires that might be suitable? i'm obviously not going to be quick so as long as they were usable they would be fine for my purposes.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

Mat, reckon the alfetta would be just fine, as long as it isn't lowered. 14 inch 2hd rally tyres are a bit thin on the ground but 15's are plentiful. i have plenty of 15 inch tyres that would do the job. good lights are probably the most important thing you need to think about. you can only drive fast if you can see where you are going. be great to see another Alfa in victorian rallying!!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Mat Francis

Not sure if this would be a long term adventure or a short lived one, but i'd bloody love to give it a go  ;D

Only have one set of 15 inch wheels, and i'm not sure if younger brother would be keen on a lend. But then he did say he would navigate so i might get lucky. I'll start looking though.

I have a set of super oscars in the garage with all the necessary gear to get them functional, so lighting shouldn't be an issue.

Need to do the throw out bearing and starter motor in that car as well, so might be pushed for time, but i'll see how it's looking and keep you updated  :)
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Anthony Miller

Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Mat Francis

Thanks Anthony,

So far have made absolutely zero progress on this Alfetta. Too busy. Rally not looking good. May still be interested in the wheels anyway, leave it with me a week or two, assuming you are in no hurry. Need to sort out the 75 first.

Cheers
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

Mat, wouldnt worry about doing too much to the 'fetta. If it goes ok on the road, that would be good enough to have a dip. As i said, 2 hand rally tyres and some driving lights are all you need. 90 k's comp, have a few giggles.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Mat, how you going with car prep for the introductory trial. only 2 entries so far. enter and worst you would do is 3rd!!! ( 20 in the full trial)

Still looking for officials. great night out , no experience necessary
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Mat Francis

To be honest it wasn't looking good Greg. Was very undecided if i wanted to put the car through it or not. Sounds like a great event, and if there is only two entries i guess i don't have a choice, i will just have to do it. Would be a real shame if events like this couldn't be run in the future due to lack of support.

Car is actually coming along pretty well. So far have replaced the di dion front bush, the two front gearbox mounts, new clutch throw out bearing, fully rebuilt gearbox (didn't do this bit myself unfortunately, just swapped it in for the old one), 2 new rear discs and four driveshaft boots.

Car will be drive able on monday, so with any luck from there it will just be a matter of mounting the super oscars, (going to pinch the wiring from the high beams temporarily, as it is already all relayed, unless anyone can think of a reason why this might not be such a good idea?), and doing the run around for wheels and tyres.

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Mat Francis

Alright further update, and a few questions to go with it.

Firstly, i have managed to borrow a terra trip computer thing which i'm informed is pretty helpful. Gotta find time to set that up as well now.

In regards to navigation, are you aware what sort the trial will be run as? (did i miss it in the regs?) I'm just going to state right here that i know nothing about rally, and only found out there was more than one type of navigation today.

This being the case, would younger brother Scott be able to navigate do you think? Or should i be looking elsewhere for someone with a bit more experience?

Next thing, i don't have mudflaps on the car. Any recommendations on where to buy them? I highly doubt the usual sources for parts would stock such a thing.

Cheers
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

Quote from: Mat Francis on November 01, 2009, 06:29:22 PM
Firstly, i have managed to borrow a terra trip computer thing which i'm informed is pretty helpful. Gotta find time to set that up as well now.
Cheers
Yes Mat, a terra trip is pretty usefull. put the probe on the left front wheel. weld the nut supplied to the disc brake shroud thingy, so the probe can count the back of the wheel studs. need 1.5 mm clearance ( which turns out to be 1 turn of the probe. i think the thread is 7/16 unf if you need to get a nut)
In regards to navigation, are you aware what sort the trial will be run as? (did i miss it in the regs?) I'm just going to state right here that i know nothing about rally, and only found out there was more than one type of navigation today.

This being the case, would younger brother Scott be able to navigate do you think? Or should i be looking elsewhere for someone with a bit more experience?

Yes Mat i am aware as i wrote the road book. I can't really tell you anything about the navigation as it is suposed to be a surprise to all crews, but, if you can plot a grid reference onto a map and join dots together with a highlighter, then follow the lines you have drawn as you drive down the road ( the tricky part) you can probably do it. there will be experienced navigators (and even me) floating around whilst you are plotting to help out the crews in the intro trial. No one is going to want you going out with an incorrect route drawn on your map. You are supposed to enjoy yourself and want to come back for another go some day. I you find it too hard i doubt that you would? BUT, if you want to find an experienced nav it would probably help you, but not help Scott.

Next thing, i don't have mudflaps on the car. Any recommendations on where to buy them? I highly doubt the usual sources for parts would stock such a thing.

Revolution racegear have great mudflap material. sheet rubber stuff hold it on with pop rivets and cable ties

great to see you are interested. hope this helps. happy to answer any other questions.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Mat Francis

Thanks Greg. Plenty of info there to keep me busy for a while. I'm sure there will be more questions soon
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

redalfaracing

no worries Mat. Jyst got back from driving the route with the checker. Roads looking great. You will enjoy it i think.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Evan Bottcher

Mat.

Please oh please have someone take photos.

That is all.  thanks, Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

redalfaracing

Don't worry Evan, there will be at least 2 professional rally photographers there and at least 50 Amateur happy snappers ( road closure officials) Most of the stuff ups... er  i mean action get documented!!!
Considered coming along and helping with a road closure? One of the biggest issues from now on is getting enough helpers so guys like Mat can have a night of motorsport. We need about 80 people for road closures and control officials.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC