2004 JTS CD Player not working

Started by jc_trader, September 12, 2009, 07:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jc_trader

Hi All,

I just picked up my 2004 156 JTS Sillyspeed last night and generally quite happy with the car!!

There is one problem that annoys me, and that is the CD Player will not accept/read any CDs.  I have tried various CDs, including burnt and original ones, still no luck.  It just makes this weird buzzing noise, spins the CD around a few times and spits it out. 

Has anyone had simular problems? Or should i just buy a new one from Alfa Romeo?

Thanks in advance

Davidm1600

Hi Mate, before rushing off to buy a new CD player, why not actually get it checked out first by either your Alfa dealer or perhaps better a car audio dealer.  While I can't really offer any help as this is an area outside of my knowledge, and thankfully the CD player in my JTS Sportwagon is fine, I think perhaps what is occurring is that there is an issue with the CD reader, which won't allow it to properly scan your discs, or maybe it is to do with the CD drive unit.  Just a thought.  Goodluck.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

John Hanslow

Know how you feel jc trader.  Previously mine only played burnt cd's and not original ones, now it does not play anything.   I thought it had someting to do with the DISC CD logic system.  I always get an error message and referred to the Alfa Radio/CD manual with the owners manual package.  Not conclusive.  Could be an easy fix.

Really do not know if it's worth fixing as a good replacement radio/cd units is not that expensive.  Also, the issue with the Twin Spark is the reception.

Regards.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

jc_trader

Thanks for the response guys.

I've made a few enquiries during the weekend about changing this to a aftermarket unit, which could retain the steering wheel controls.  Apparently only Kenwood and Pioneer can do this, but they both require a additional steering wheel control unit. 

Got the following quote for a after market unit:

HeadUnit - ranges in prices from 250-750
Fascia - 40
Steering wheel control unit - 200
Full Installation - 200

Somehow I think this is going to be cheaper than a fix at Euromarque... 

I'll be taking the car in on Friday to see what they have to say.

Cheers

ForzaSab

Quote from: jc_trader on September 14, 2009, 03:06:30 PM

Cheers

Having experienced euromarque as well i think thats a given! lol
Have you thought about an alfa car wrecker perhaps?

jc_trader

Quote from: ForzaSab on September 14, 2009, 06:28:04 PM
Quote from: jc_trader on September 14, 2009, 03:06:30 PM

Cheers

Having experienced euromarque as well i think thats a given! lol
Have you thought about an alfa car wrecker perhaps?

I'm new to Alfas.  Any good recommendations around Bris?

shiny_car

the issue with the factory headunit is most likely a 'fault' rather than a glitch you can readily fix. so it could be a worn laser/laser-motor mechanism. it would need to go to Blaupunkt to be fixed; the cost depends on what's wrong, but a new laser supplied and fitted should be under $200.

a secondhand one from a wrecker could be cheaper, so that's a good idea. but there's always the risk it too will fail sooner rather than later.

with aftermarket headunits, most brands have models that can accept a steering wheel control interface; not just kenwood and pioneer. for example, higher spec alpine, blaupunkt, clarion, etc.

around BNE, the place to visit is Northfield (Moorooka). they are importers of the Connects2 (UK-brand) interfaces, and i believe they have the version to suit alfa's. interfaces are actually 2-part: the actual interface plus a wiring harness that connects the interface with the particular brand headunit you buy.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

jc_trader

Hi all,

I ended up getting the following:

http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/Car%20Entertainment/CD%20DVD%20Players/DEH%203100UB.aspx

Overall quite happy with it.  The only prob is that the lighting isn't Red to match the interior of the car. 

I would recommed this, and they currently come with a free usb that does glow red.

Cheers

John Hanslow

Thanks for that - I will keep it in mind as it's a fair price and a good option.  Pitty it does not match the Monza/JTS red lighting but there you go.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Prana69

Hi jc_trader

I realise this post is a few months old, but I wanted to ask you about the Pioneer unit you bought.

My 2003 JTS has the CRAPPIEST radio reception I have ever heard.  It's full of static, tinny, often only comes in one speaker and then pans between all 4, cuts in and out.  I have replaced the aerial with a longer 40cm one instead of the stubby 8cm factory fitted, all to no avail.  It's annoying to the point that I simply turn the radio off (which bugs me, because I like listening to the radio).

Did you have any radio problems prior to upgrading to the Pioneer?
How is your radio reception now?

Thanks
David
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS