what wheels fit 105's

Started by mattrix, September 09, 2009, 01:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattrix

Hi all,

just trying to sort out whats what.

The 105's are 4 x 108 pcd, but have a large centre bore hole (>70mm). There are lots (well, some) 108 pcd out there but the the centre bore is too small (eg cortina).

What other standard steel wheels fit? Are the 105's the only alfas with 108 pcd and large centre bore?

There were (at least) 2 different steel wheels on the 105, 14x5" and 14x5.5", what were the offsets (and other details) of these original wheels, and any others that fit?

(both of these have the circular holes around the wheels, will only alfa wheels with circular holes fit? that is, how do you tell them apart)

cheers

matt

MD

Matt I do not have the data but I am sure somebody else will.

My contribution is to advise that Alfa suspension is very sensitive to wheel centering. So if you find wheels that are of the correct offset & PCD but bore sizes too large, the answer is to have conversion locating rings machined up for each wheel. This will ensure a firm fit of the wheel centre on the hub and correctly locate it.

Without this, (if you are using the wheel nuts only for location) the car may feel like the wheels are out of balance all the time. Last time I had some made, they cost me around $40 each.

The other alternative which is a bit more involved is to do a stud conversion to a common local wheel spec with a similar offset to give you a much greater selection of rims than would otherwise be available for dedicated Alfa specs.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Tim Jobson

Matt, in my search for wheels for my 105 I remember seeing a thread that was in the alfabb that had a listing of all the common whees that fit the 108 pcd 105 stud pattern, it was very interesting, cannot remember exactly where it was, but do a search in either the GT or Suspension section to dig it up.

I am still learning about offsets to get the best fit for a 15x7, I am on a steep learning curve!

Regards

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

mattrix

As far as I can tell Alfa changed from 15" wheels to 14" wheels in the mid 60's; and to 98 pcd in the early 70's with the 116 serries.
(I think) All of the steel 14" 108 pcd (and the earlier 15") had the GTA style rims, although there were minor variations (rim width, offset, ears for large hubcap, reinforcing tabs in the centre etc).
I didn't think any of these standard steel wheels were hubcentric, though.
I seem to recall that the rear hub nose was a different size to the front.

But I've seen Alfa's driving around with different style steel rims (presumably from other makes). But I dont know if they fitted straight on or had to be modified to fit (eg increase the centre bore)

matt

mattrix

Hi Tim,
I've seen this list,
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires/45559-105-series-pcd-wheel-list.html
and others; but I know some of them wont fit without being modified.
I dont know if any of them fit without being modified.

Good luck in your search for 15x7's

matt