Clutch pedal switch GTV (1984)

Started by Craig C, September 07, 2009, 01:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig C

Whilst under the dashboard on the weekend I noticed a switch on the clutch pedal like the stop light switch on the brake pedal.  It has 4 green wires coming from it but doesn't show up in any of the electrical diagrams for this model.

Does anyone know what function it performs.  I was wondering whether it relates to some starting troubles I am having.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

Jekyll and Hyde

I believe its for some antiquated form of cruise control which aussie cars didn't actually have, although having various bits and pieces of it....  May be wrong though.

Martyn

Switch is for emissions control connected to solenoid on carby. Take solenoid off throw in bin and enjoy better fuel economy. Keep switch as identical to one that works brake lights.
Starting problems usually spark plugs, leads. Being an 84 should have Bosch electonic ignition unless someone  swapped it for the inferior points.
The joys of Alfa electrics!
Martyn Piercey
105 GTV (building for Nc)
Alfetta GT
76 Spider(in bits)
GTV 2000
1300 GT Junior
147 Selespeed(sold)
Sc Alfetta GTV (sold)

MD

Agree with emission related function.
A well tuned Alfa engine fires up on first crank with fresh fuel irrespective of atmospheric temps.
The causes of poor starting in the detail can be many and listing them here is a poke in the dark.
The painful part is taking it to a good Alfa mechanic and giving the moths in the wallet a wake up call. Then again the good part is that once an Alfa is tuned right, they stay that way for a long time and produce a goofey grin everytime it goes for a fang to get the papers from the furthest agent in town.. ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfagtv152

Just to add a liitle to Martyn's Explanation they used the clutch pedal switch and a neutral switch in(on) the gearbox to activate that solenoid on the carbies to reduce emissions by keeping the throttle cocked open under given conditions,that criteria I am not sure of but 99% of cars have the solenoids removed or disabled these days.For my mind it shows just how efficient Alfa's were in those early days as they only needed such minimal polution controls to satisfy the requirements when compared to other cars of the time.
The only other thing to my knowledge was the tiny hose from the fuel tank that ran through the car to the rocker cover to suck the fuel tank vapours into the carbies.
Cheers
Andrew 
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.