Alfa 75 Twin Spark Air Flow Meter Swap

Started by njh1964, August 15, 2009, 09:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njh1964

Hi,

I'm looking for an alternative to the stock Bosch air flow meter (AFM) for an Alfa 75 Twin Spark. The part number for the stock Bosch unit is 0280202202.

Ideally, I'd like a replacement AFM which still connects to the existing Bosch Motronic ECU connector (ie 5 pin plug), and which does not require any changes to be made to the ECU.

If the replacement unit was a little more compact that the Bosch stock unit, that would be fine. I need the extra space and I'm using a pod filter in place of the stock Alfa 75 air filter box in any case.

Has anyone out there successfully replaced the stock Bosch AFM with another unit?? If so, please let me know which brand and part number.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

Gusto

Hi Nick, did you ever source a suitable replacement while keeping the standard motronic. I've been thinking of doing this myself and matching the afm size to the throttle body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gusto

https://splitsec.com/wp-content/uploads/technotes/TN2_AFM_to_MAF_Conversion.pdf
I found these guys. They make a kit for converting from AFM to MAF sensor. Anyone had any success with one of these?

alanm

The logic in the PDF is sound - replace 30 year old technology that works well, with newer technology that works better. Reasonably easy it would seem if you have a BMW, not so easy if you have an Alfa?
I would be very interested to knows if anyone has gone down this path.
Al
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Gusto

Yes. There's plenty of motronic BMW owners that have done it. I've found a wiring diagram that uses the air temp sensor out of a stock AFM. I'll give it a go if I can find a faulty AFM.

Duk

It's a lot of money to stay using a very old engine management system.

It's the sort of thing that, if you knew what you were doing, could be done quite easily with a microcontroller.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

Gusto

Yes I think that was the conclusion on the Alfa bb thread. Going to another ecu and itb's is the way to go. I've tried contacting festy for one of his ecu kits but haven't heard anything. I better read up, engine management for dummies.