My 84 GTV 2L EV Project

Started by TheConverted, July 30, 2009, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheConverted

Last week acquired my 1st Alfa Romeo, its a GTV 2L 84 model. Previously owned by a forum member, alfaholic.

It drove well when driving it home, so was happy as Larry.

Was hoping to take it to a weighbridge this morning, but no go, would not start. So I think to myself, lets go through the motions and find out whats going on.

Spark: checked.... :)

Fuel: nope. pulled the fuel line at the Dellorto, crank her over, still no fuel. pulled the fuel line before the fuel filter, still no fuel.

Its obvious that it must be the mechanical fuel pump. Yes, there is fuel in it.

Now, question time. Are these fuel pumps common to fault. Is there a simple check procedure?
I did pull the pump out and there was no obvious signs of a problem, the pin/rod that connects the pump to the engine is in good condition.

If I need to change the pump, where in Brisbane can I get one? Or is there some one in Brisbane who can lend me one to test with? I hate buying things and then finding out that wasnt the problem.

All input is much appreciated.
White Alfetta 84 GTV, soon to be a GTeV (Electric Vehicle)

Craig C

Could your fuel gauge be faulty?  ie reading full when the tank is empty
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

TheConverted

That was the 1st thing I checked, so I put another 6L of fuel in it just in case. There is fuel, just not pumping out from the fuel pump out hose.

Red Devil GTV6

Have you checked you fuel fillter? This may be blocked.

Got any pics of you new drive?

Cheers

TheConverted

I assumed that the funny thing after the fuel pump was the fuel filter. Is there a normal type of fuel filter before the fuel pump that maybe block?

I am trying to not buy a new fuel pump because I am only wanting to drive the car to a weighbridge and then the petrol engine is coming out and being replaced by BATTERIES and an ELECTRIC motor. I hope this doesnt upset too many die hard Alfa people.

Some pics;

Mat Francis

WHAT!?

"converted" my a***...

(Sarcasm)

I personally wouldn't do it, but hey it'l be an interesting build. Make a thread so we can follow it please?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

TheConverted

Will do. Ive been looking at a few different makes and models to convert, but I have always had a fascination with the GTV Alfa's. This one seems like a reasonable example to convert.

One thing that has caught me off guard was the transaxle. How does the tailshaft connect/couple to the engine crankshaft? Would love to see a diagram or picture of this.

Oh! By the way, Im not new to modifying/restoring cars. My other project is a 1969 VF hardtop Valiant.

Dont be shy guys, all comments are welcomed.

k76

Go for it I'd say, it's not like this is a rare car. Being an Alfa you do have a responsibility to keep it sporting though. You have to put a proper motor in it, not a wheelchair motor!

The transaxle might be an advantage for you as the clutch is integral to it, this is what it looks like

It's connected by a two piece propshaft with rubber doughnuts
The propshaft and doughnuts is a weak point, maybe best not to use it. Maybe you could enlarge the tunnel and stick the motor straight onto the transaxle yoke?

Please keep us updated!

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

TheConverted

Thanks Kris, much appreciate the pic and diagram. Aim  is for it to be driving on elecric by xmas 2010. So will be slow progress.

I have not decided if this will be a road car or just a drag car as yet?
Does the propshaft bolt straight to the crank shaft?

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: TheConverted on July 30, 2009, 10:10:00 PM
I am trying to not buy a new fuel pump because I am only wanting to drive the car to a weighbridge and then the petrol engine is coming out and being replaced by BATTERIES and an ELECTRIC motor. I hope this doesnt upset too many die hard Alfa people.

Strap a gas can to the roof and have a gravity feed into the carbs then.  Can't see anything untoward happening with that solution.

Do you have a goal in terms of weight of batteries and electric motor?  I'm guessing they'll be substantially weightier than the standard engine?

alfagtv58

If all you want to do is weigh it, get it towed there and back....borrow or rent a trailer, surely that would be cheaper and less messing around that the fuel pump.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

TheConverted

Sheldon, after I remove the bonnet, would you care to sit in the engine bay and hold the gerry can so we dont spill any fuel?...... :) :) :)

The motor will weigh between 50kg to 70kg approximately, I havent decide as yet on which motor.

Batteries will be the main extra weight, but they will be one of the last things to commit to. Im hoping by that time Lithium Polymer batteries will be reasonably priced. Which will dramatically reduce the weight factor, but will add to the cost and complications to the project.

TheConverted

Phil, yes, I am considering that option.

I just thought it maybe a simple problem to fix. What puzzles me, it drove last week (driving it home when I bought it) without any issues at all.

Is the fuel tank susceptable to getting blocked?

MD

Wanna build a radical Alfa?

Install a steam engine using superheated steam with recovery and fuel it on LPG. 40%energy conversion and almost flat torque. Goes lot further than a neverready flattery... ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

TheConverted

Interesting MD, an External combustion engine, as aposed to an Internal combustion engine. I might leave that for the next conversion, maybe use a very rare Alfa instead.... ;D