Just started project to create Group S car

Started by Glenn Campbell, March 25, 2009, 08:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob whitehouse

Hi Glenn: Congratulation on your project. At the speed you are moving ahead it seems you would be ready to join the Alfa group for the East Coast Challenge at Lakeside Park on July 3-4/09. You could check with Phil if you are interested in joining us in sunny Qld. Bob

Glenn Campbell

Posted a photo when the cage was fabricated. Paint job now complete and car is almost on the road. Will update photo later.
Falcon AU Saloon Car
2007 BMW M3 E92 Manual

NigelC

Glenn,

how did you end up dealing with the sunroof?  I too have a '79 GTV that I'm converting to GpS (albeit very slowly!) and it has an after-market suroof that must weigh 15+ kilos!

Nigel
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

alfagtv58

Quote from: NigelC on July 03, 2009, 09:29:20 AM
Glenn,

how did you end up dealing with the sunroof?  I too have a '79 GTV that I'm converting to GpS (albeit very slowly!) and it has an after-market suroof that must weigh 15+ kilos!

Nigel
Hi Nigel, good to hear your Group S project is coming along!
You should ring Hugh Harrison at Monza Motors (even though you are in NSW!), he has done this a couple of times, first was to the car his son used to race see here, and then they did it to the Ian Morris Targa Tas winning car.  I am sure he would be happy to explain what you need to do.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Dna Dave

I've seen guys cut the roof off and change with a roof from a another donar car.
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

k76

If it's an aftermarket sunroof can't you just remove it and weld a new plate in? You'll need some filler for sure, unless you find a panelbeating vizard. If you are worried about the weight mix up some epoxy and microballons instead of automotive filler. Were any of the original roof structure beyond the shell plate cut or modified?

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Glenn Campbell

Nigel
I replaced the sunroof with a heat moulded lexan sheet , glued to the sunroof frame using Wurth - fantastic stuff that glue.

Project now completed (until I have more money to spend on engine and gearbox). Only have to pass the Historic Logbook check!

Thanks to all the guys who helped with info.
Falcon AU Saloon Car
2007 BMW M3 E92 Manual