90 Electrics gone loopy

Started by redgta, July 08, 2009, 12:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redgta

I need a bit of input as to why my 90 has developed some strange behaviour. These include all dash warning lights that flash when engine off and car locked, Oil pressure light flashing or staying on , temperature light staying on or flashing with or without the oil light flashing, jerky hesitation when at low acceleration. Dissy cap and plugs/leads have been replaced. Where do I look next? I have had earth problems and ignition switch problems as possible cause suggested but i am looking for something more specific. Any ideas? :(
2003 147 GTA (red of course 'cos it goes faster)
1986 90 The shopping trolly
2000 GTV T-Spark now sold to a new happy alfa owner
2001 156 2.4 Diesel IN UK for my holidays _now gone with over 143000miles

Sheldon McIntosh

Earths.  Or you could always try the big red switch in the engine bay marked "Annoying Electrical Problems".  Make sure it's switched to the "Off" position.

Sheldon McIntosh

Actually, now I've thought about it, do all these problems only happen in very cold weather by any chance?  The ARC is known to be affected by the cold, and there is a fix for this, which I can post a link to when I get a bit more time.  And is this a digital or analogue dash?

redgta

Thanks for the hints
The problems are hot and cold weather. I am guessing it might be associated with something that connects the small car computer brain to the body. I will have to go and try and trace all the electrical connections that feed back to the warning light systems and hope I find it in the first 1/2 hour. I am happy for the chance to drive the GTA as an everyday car as a consolation :D Looks like the weekend is going to lost to the problem
2003 147 GTA (red of course 'cos it goes faster)
1986 90 The shopping trolly
2000 GTV T-Spark now sold to a new happy alfa owner
2001 156 2.4 Diesel IN UK for my holidays _now gone with over 143000miles

dehne

for the oil light check to see if it connected it at the back of the engine sometimes they are a little loose for the water you may havea nackered sensor on the front/water pump
the warning panel may be faulty as these sometimes stuff up u can pull it out and give the connections a clean
and finaly for the jerky hesitation at low acceleration this is the easy one just nail it you and your car will both love itprob needs  to have timing and tune done
hope that helps
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

alfagtv152

Hello Richard,
Good to see another SA member on the forum,I will give some tips and then wait for Mickey to chip in.
The whole wiring loom goes through the lpugs on the fire wall,Left and Right sides, so pull the plugs out and squirt them liberally (both halves)with CRC-226 and push them back together making sure all wires are engeged properly.Spray the fuse box and check there are no loose or burnt connections in it,check all the relays are the correct suppressed type,check all earth points and see if you can find the wiring to the Alfa Romeo control Module in the vacinity of behind the glove box and make sure the connections are sound.
When I say check earths check them everywhere!,under bonnet,under dash?,in the boot everywhere!.
My 90 once had a bad earth in the rear tail light area and it turned on the interior light when you turned right,said the right rear door was open when braking and a couple other wierd things that I dont remember right now.Check battery terminals and the power cable junctions under the bonnet as some of these problems can be due to Voltage drop also,I believe a lot of of older IC chips are very voltage sensative in the Alfa Romeo control units.If all that doesnt help take it to an auto electrician and dont be so cheap!. ;D
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.