CAMS Anti-doping

Started by Doug Gould, July 07, 2009, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Gould

I'm just going through my CAMS licence renewal and reading the new anti-doping requirements. I have a commercial pilots licence which requires an annual medical. Renewing my CAMS licence is now more complex than renewing my CPL. Partly because I'm married to a GP, I get extremely conservative medical treatment. I'm on a drug which is on the prohibited list. It has no performance benefit, no side effects and CASA have no concern about it for my Commercial Pilors Licence. But now I have to apply to the Australian Sports Drug Medical Advisory Committe to get an exemption that then must be presented to CAMS in order to renew my Level 2 licence. My main use of the licence is to compete once a year at Philip Island (usually once a year I am CoC and the other time I compete).

At this stage I am not intending to renew my L2S licence and to relinquish my officials licence and either only do the Winton AASA events or give up entirely.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Neil Choi

To all AROCA members and competitors,

I would urge you all to show support for Doug to reconsider his licenses position despite the ridiculous CAMS bureaucracy.

I for one cannot do without Doug's efforts at our events.

Please don't give up. 

Regards
Neil

alfagtv58

+1 Neil.

Folks, our sprint meetings are run very efficiently and amongst the best in Victoria.  This is in no small part due to Doug's skill and professionalism.  I have been assistant clerk of course to Doug (some time ago) and having seen him run the day, from early on when it was all running smooth to having an on track incident that had the potential to ruin the day for everyone, Doug calmly bought the situation under control and most of the competitors were blissfully unaware that the rest of their day ran smooth with extra runs because of Doug.

Don't do it Doug!!  The CAMS anti-doping is something new to them and I am guessing that they have just 'copied and pasted' from the FIA policy.  CASA have runs on the board and been through all of this, it is probably a much more streamlined process as a result.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Eddy Bidese

Doug I appreciate your efforts and all those volunteers who make our track days a success...thank you. Dont give up on this one but do it for your own sake ....as a competitor. Find a way around it or through it. Forza!!!!  Cheers   Eddy Bidese

Doug Gould

I've just had a very good phonecall from Bruce Keys and as a result I'm backing down. Bruce explained that CAMS have what sounds like a sensible comprimise on  its anti-doping policy that allows it to qualify for whatever government grant has a precondition of ASADA compliance. The problem appears that the document they have sent out with licence renewals explaining the changes is incorrect. Doh!

Essentially the CAMS requirement that that those of us on drugs keep some sort of record that we are on them for valid medical reasons. In the event that we get drug tested at an event and something shows up, this documentayion demonstrates that there was a pre-existing reason for the drug. And of course the chances of being drug tested at a club level sprint is about the same as me wining tattslotto.

So, CAMS thinking seems to be good - while the CAMS bureacracy implementing it is unspeakably bad.

See you at Winton

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle