1999 Alfa 156 Twin Spark recommended engine oil

Started by maser, September 04, 2009, 11:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maser

Hi I am new to the forum having just purchased a low k 1999 156 Twin Spark 5 speed manual. 74k all servicing to date by Alfa dealer in Brisbane Cam belts etc replaced at 50k. Need to know where to get the Salena ?? brand engine oil. Will be doing my own service for oil changes etc.

I am located on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland.

Can any one assist

thanks Maser

Barry Edmunds

Maser

Good choice of car, particularly a manual version.

To quote an old line from a TV add Oils aint oils. Your best bet would be to contact other 156 owners through the club and see what they use or recommend. If you have a contct with the dealer get their advice as well.

Oil questions invariably produce multiple answers with each one giving you their personal preference.

Good luck
Barry

shiny_car

pretty sure in Australia, the recommended oil is Selenia Racing, 10W60 grade. unfortunately, only this year i believe, Selenia downgraded the 'quality' of this oil in terms of TBN (total base number). i'm not an engineer, so i only try and understand what i read (perhaps do a google search).

at the end of the day, in the 2.0, Selenia Racing should easily be good enough and not lead to premature wear so long as you change it regularly (eg: 12 months or 10K km, whatever is sooner). however, if you wish to use a 'higher quality' oil (ie: higher TBN), plenty of enthusiasts recommend something like Castrol Edge.

of course, there's plenty of excellent, more esoteric brands like Royal Purple, Redline, etc.

most Alfa owners would rely on what their service department offers, which should be Selenia at a dealer. this is probably perfectly fine, and mostly academic that it's not as good as it used to be; and still remains perfectly adequate.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

John Hanslow

Selenia or Martini oils are difficult to get.  Something of similar standard is quite acceptable.

The best oil recommended is to 10W/60 thruought the Alfa 156 (932 series) community as it helps solve the oil usage that some cars have.

So I do know that Castrol Edge Sport (Racing?) has 10W/60 grade and you can get it at Autobarn etc. That's what I suggest if I was going to get some myself for top ups etc.  It is not cheap but it's what you need and readily available.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

ProvaRacing

Agreed John H I use Castrol Edge Sport 10W60 as a top up (old spec Selenia) because as per it's spec data sheet vs Selenia Racing 10W60 they were similar/same. That was of course until the revised data sheet for Selenia Racing under Petronas ownership where their TBN has fallen to 8.6 (was 10.8) compared to Castrol's 10.2

In effect the "dirt" load carrying capacity (T.B.N.) means the higher the longer the life and extended service intervals. So the now lower TBN would certainly be indicating 5000km/6mth oil change in shorter trip start/stop motoring.

Maybe Malay's Petronas are saving money to pay for the purchase....

maser

Thanks for the info, looks like Castrol Edge is the go since the change to the Selenia oil spec.

Thanks again for your help, love the 156 it is a real pleasure to drive.

Maser