Just bought a 1986 33Ti (Gold Leaf) and I have a few questions......

Started by Andiroid, June 23, 2009, 10:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andiroid

Hi all,
I have just bought a 33 and I have a couple of questions for those of you who have owned 33's for much longer than I!

1) Should my car smell of petrol fumes? I don't mind a faint whiff, but this was quite over powering. Is this a common trait or can it be rectified? If so can you explain it to me so I can relay to my mechanic.

2) I have not had too much problem with the 2nd gear shift (this quirk I was warned about). My problem is shifting into reverse. Sometimes it goes in, sometimes it seems like it goes in but actually drives forward.

3) Are the windscreen wipers always so slow?

4) Should the heating and ventilation controls light up? Are they backlit etc. ? At the moment it is a black hole at night.

5) ...what else should I know about? The common faults, or should I say 'quirks' as that seems more endearing.

I love the thrum of the engine and it's crazy 80's push button dash! The narrow pedals haven't really been a problem and I can't wait to steam clean the carpets and seats! I just want to make sure that this fella stays on the road for quite some time to come.

I look forward to learning more about my new baby form you all.

Thanks

Andiroid
2013 Giulietta Distinctive Sportiva, 2004 147 Twin Spark 3dr

Scarlan

Hi Andiroid,
It has been many years since I owned my 1986 Alfa 33Ti, but I certainly remember the petrol smell like it was yesterday!
Each time I took the car in to be serviced I would ask them to look into it, but always with no success.
It was always extremely bad after filling the tank.
Then one time the mechanic noticed something; apparently there is a relief valve / vent which in my car was installed backwards.
I assume this is somewhere between the top of the fuel tank and the point where you fill the tank from outside the car.
Worth checking out.
As for the other things; you may have to ask someone that still owns one.
Great car!
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

Sheldon McIntosh

Mine had a strong petrol smell when I got it too, just turned out to be a split fuel return line from one of the carbs.  I assume you've checked all that though?

Andiroid

alanm

Andiroid,
My experience was the same as Sheldon's, fuel lines perished where they connect to the carbs.
I cut a couple cm of the ends and reattached. Only one hose needed to be replaced (fuel hose is expensive).
I hope you enjoy the car, mine was a hoot, loved the sound of the motor, especially on the overrun!

Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

Andiroid

Well, it WAS the fuel hoses. They were leaking, and I couldn't do a cut and rejoin as the hoses were too perished. 1 problem fixed!

Thanks!

Andrew

Frank Musco

Hi

Not going into reverse and selecting forward sounds like the gearchange linkage is worn.

There is a plastic 'bearing' where the gearshift connects to the shaft which goes to the gearbox. If this is broken, you will notice considerable slackness and will have to replace it. Otherwise you can tighten this joint as well as the joint connecting the gearchange to the rear gearbox support. Try this first.

The other point is where the gearchange shaft joins the gearbox. The roll pin can be worn, and the joint slack. Very difficult to change.

Heater consol light
If other dash lights are working, its not fuses. The heater consol does have a light which connects at the rear. Remove the ashtray and check to see if the light has fallen out of its socket.

Wipers
I found that corrosion in the fuse box caused some of the problem and dry joints.

Generally clean all electrical connections and squirt some wd40 or oil on joints, locks, etc...

Have the cam belts been changed? If not, change them because valves can hit pistons when belt breaks.

Cheers

Andiroid

Thanks Frank! I've picked up a workshop manuel and it has beeb VERY helpful. All Lights working now and have cleaned up the electrics a bit.

Thanks for your suggestions re gearbox. I'll start on that soon!

Andrew