I just put magic fuel in my 159 3.2l

Started by alfagtv100 (Biggus), June 22, 2009, 08:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I have been using BP Ultimate in my cars for some time.  No problems and a nice flavour.
With the fuel light coming on, I stopped at a Mobil station and put in a tank of Mobil Synergy 8000.
Within 10km of driving, I noticed a significant increase in torque and improved throttle response.  It made the 159 feel much quicker and rewarding to drive.
I wouldn't imagine such a difference to be typical between the 2 fuels but thought I would throw it out there for comments/opinions.

Whadayarekon.

Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

John Hanslow

It's the kinda thing you would want to prove on a Dyno Day. 

Thatswhatirekon.

Actually I thought those quality fuels would be the same but will give it a go.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

MD

...I wouldn't rush into it. Suggest you do some research on the adverse effects of ethanol on your fuel system and its affinity for moisture problems not to mention the human cost of producing this stuff ..ie.

"And making ethanol is a hungry process. It requires some 200kg of corn to produce between 90 and 100 litres of ethanol, enough to fill the fuel tank of a typical four-wheel-drive vehicle. That same amount of corn could supply enough calories to feed a person for a year."

Not sure how factual this is but even so depleting food supplies to run cars is not so cool as far as I am coccerned.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Ross Flood

When did Synergy 8000 have ethanol put in it? Mobil does not sell ethanol-blended petrol in Victoria.

Brett

Actually, we load Synergy and Ultimate directly from the Terminal in Yarraville, it is imported product and it comes out of exactly the same tank......
:P

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I wasn't talking about Ethanol.
My theory, based on no scientific proof.  The tank of BP fuel I had been running on was sub-standard (for whatever reason).
Alternatively, at 24,000kms, my car decided it was ready to unleash its full potential.  "Behold, I am Alfa.  Fear me".

Anyway, I am not complaining.

Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

MD

QuoteI wasn't talking about Ethanol.

Marco,

Whether you know it or not, Mobil Synergy contains up to 10% ethanol see :

http://apps.exxonmobil.com.au/apps/htm/mn_mobil_products_stations.asp?state=VIC&filter=SynergyE10

BP recommends Ultimate fuel for pre 1986 cars on the condition that valve seat protection additives are used (presumably stuff like Flashlube)

See : http://www.bp.com/search.do?cf=&gf=&tf=&nf=&bf=&re=&pe=&de=&rl=&cl=&nl=&bl=&ml=&lf=&ls=&lc=&ll=&lb=&cp=1&ra=&fl=&kw=ultimate+octane&categoryId=9015025&site=1

This a 98 octane fuel and is generally considered to be among the best with a low sulphur content which is good for the environment and equally important for your engine as using it makes less sulphuric acid deposit in your oil that kills engines and lower acidic dew point in the exhaust system giving it a longer life from less corrosion.

Just some points to chew over...

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

luca

all fuels come from the same refineries.

the whole sale fuel business sell to all major retail brands.

Gary Pearce

MD is wrong.
No Mobil Synergy product sold in Victoria contains Ethenol (re- tech line available to members of the trade at 12.07 23/06)
The hyperlink supplied refers to Qld and a whole lot of other products.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

MD

You are right and I am wrong. On further reading Mobil Synergy is just a 98 octane fuel. Mobil Synergy E10 is the one that has ethanol in it. Turns out it was magic sheit after all !!  :) :)

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

lombardi

SHELL HAS INTRODUCED 95 OCTANE AGAIN,NO ETHANOL,RUN IT IN MY 166 to great effect.CIAO
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Maltalfisti

Quote from: lombardi on June 23, 2009, 05:35:02 PM
SHELL HAS INTRODUCED 95 OCTANE AGAIN,NO ETHANOL,RUN IT IN MY 166 to great effect.CIAO

Reviving this thread, yes, just because I wanted to ask lombardi here: was there a time that Shell did NOT sell 95? What am I missing here? Please remind me.
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...