Another twin spark 105 conversion

Started by Colin Byrne, June 21, 2009, 06:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njh1964

Quote from: Colin Byrne on January 31, 2010, 10:28:17 PM
Hi Guys, few more pictures of the engine, still not finished yet, build going a bit slower than planned due to some confusing with valve guide and seal sizes!
I've added a return fuel line and installed the pictured fuel pump/surge tank assembly under the back seats
Couple of little mods on the engine
-   105 water pump with mechanical tacho drive
-   Thermostat from a Lada should allow the use of standard 105 radiator hoses
-   Air bleed screw added to back of inlet manifold to allow use of 105 non-pressurised radiator overflow
-   Nissan Twin Spark Dizzy cap and rotor fitted to allow removal of Cam Driven dizzy

And if your looking for new rubber connectors for the inlet manifold Bunnings has a standard pluming fitting that does a great job

Also I've realized I'm missing the support arm for the inlet manifold (I'm assuming there is supposed to be an arm from the bottom of the manifold to the engine mount), anyone got one or know where I can get one? And does the original tube that goes from the black canister to the cam cover have an S in it or is it just straight, as I don't seem to have one of those either

Cheers

Hi Colin,

Would you happen to know what the required operating temperature is for a Twin Spark thermostat? I like your idea of using the Lada thermostat, but I'll need a slightly different configuration... so I need to look look for a thermostat with the same temperature rating as the OEM Twin Spark unit.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

Barry Edmunds

Colin
Are you still in need of a carby support strut?
Sure I have one in the collection.
Barry

Colin Byrne

hi nick,  sorry not sure what the standard OT of the twin spark is, from my research there where very few cars made with external 3 way thermostats, MG's, BMW's and the lada was all i could find.  My plan is to see if the lada thermo does the job, if not i'll machine/fab a new housing for the original themostat.

Hi Barry, Stuart was good enough to give me his old one and, thanks anyway

I've been slowed down a bit with the conversion as i don't have the M7 for the cam cover and they're proving a little hard to track down.... Damn M7's!!!!!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

scott.venables

Are they socket cap screws or hex head set screws? The latter you can get in M7x35 in a Champion Handy Pack.

Scott

alfagtv58

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

njh1964,

All the "105" based 2litre engines (which the twin spark is one), operate around 86-87*
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Colin Byrne

Got it all ready to go into the car then had a bit of a change of plans.  Decided to do targa again so all efforts are being diverted to the rally car, one of the upgrades is a new engine so the old engine which was still in really good nick as been put into the road 105 and the old road engine is the base for the new engine.  so bassically i've got a brand new twin spark motor ready to drop into a 105 and no real need to do it!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)