Another one!

Started by k76, June 08, 2009, 09:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k76

It happened very quickly, but I'm now the proud owner of an 82 Alfetta Sportiva! After realizing that my GTV won't be very family friendly the idea of a sedan has been brewing in the back of my head for a while. I didn't quite know what I was buying, but after assurances the car was in fact driving and registered I sealed a deal over the phone and booked a one way flight to Canberra this last Friday. I really was quite nervous about the drive, 410km on a wintery Friday night in an unknown Alfa certainly has the potential to end in tears! I decided not to tempt Murphy too much, so I signed up for NRMA, and packed a healthy toolkit, spark plugs, fuses, lightbulbs etc.

At a first glance the car was as expected,  quite dirty, a few light rustspots and a fairly ratty interior. The owner gave me the rundown and casually explained that the bonnet cable had broken, but that I could just stick my hand under and open it that way. Panick set in when I stopped at the first service station to check fluid levels before the trip, and there was no way I could get my hand in to open the bonnet! I may be brave, but not brave enough to drive off without checking oil and water... Once I calmed down I realized the bonnet catch was sitting just behind the badge, and in fact it popped up easily with the help of a screwdriver.
That was really all the drama I had! Once warmed up the car drove beatifully, and after a cautious start I was sitting comfortably at 110km/h for 5 hours straight!I think I counted 6 or 7 vehicles stranded yet the alfetta didn't miss a beat! I love this car already!

It definitely needs some love, but so far it doesn't look like there's any bad rust. The plan is to deal with that asap, and deal with the interior later.  The handling was a pleasant surprise, it's got koni red's and some stiffer rear springs. The front end is a bit mushy with standard torsion bars, i might try to find omge gtv6 bars and a stiffer sway bar to fix that later.

First priority is preserving the body though, anyone know where can I get original paint for it?

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Mat Francis

Hmm i have a feeling that i might know this car, got some pictures? Sounds like a good adventure. Excellent to hear another sedan success story!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

k76

Here's a picture I took yesterday:

Mat,

If you know anything about the car I'd love to hear it, good or bad.

I'm feeling brave today, and have booked the car in for a roadworthy tomorrow. It will certainly be interesting!

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Mat Francis

Sorry Kris, different 82 sportiva with red konis to the one i was thinking of that resides in the area.
Best of luck with the roadworthy, we havn't been brave enough to book our latest project in yet.
Looks pretty tidy from that picture, sounds like a good buy.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

pep105

Nice one Kris looks like a tidy unit - so rare especially being a Sportiva 2

Mat is the one your thinking of red ? Is he on the BB ?
Two of my mates in the 90s owned a 81 Sportiva 1 and a 83 Sportiva 2, after a few years being daily
drivers the Sportiva 2 became a parts car for the Sportiva 1, sad really given the rarity and the fact it wasnt in
bad nick and was sold for less than a minor service on a 156! we probably should've saved it

Anyway nice to see one being used and still around, let us know how you go.

Ohh by the way the Sportivas used Bilsteins originally
Cheers

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Mat Francis

I was thinking of a red one that was in Melbourne until recently, i believe it was taken to NSW. The previous owner still lurks, no idea if the new owner is around though.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

k76

I was wondering if there was a sportiva I! Does anyone know what set the sportiva's apart? My car has an airdam and chrome wheelarches, but I don't know if that's standard or not. Together with the twin round headlights I think it gives the front end a really good look.

I sent an enquiry to archivio storico overnight, and they let me know that this car was built in December 1980, and only sold in March 1983!

Anyway, I chickened out on the roadworthy today. I received some advice that it's best to remove any signs of rust before I attempt, so I'll do that asap.

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Mat Francis

i think extras such as the chrome wheelarches were really just "look (insert generic Italian name), i reckon this one would look nice with these! oh, and how about we chuck this on over here."

My 83 build has the circular lights, electric windows, the chrome strips, and it had a different plastic trim down the sills, however it could be a "2000L", as i have no sportiva badging or anything. Luck of the draw.

Actually now that i look, the silver trim down the sills on your car is the same as what i put onto mine. I pulled that trim off a 1.8L alfetta. That one must of been sitting in the parts bin for 5 years prior!  ;D

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

dehne

what build number is the sportiva it will be badged on the glove box as there was only a certain number built cant remember how many though
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

pep105

The Sportiva 1 had power windows (with external outboard motors on the outside of the door trim!)
14 in cross spoke style alloys, leather interior, momo steering wheel, bilstein shocks, chrome wheel arch moulds and a big arse body stripe right around the whole car a bit like a 75 moulding with Sportiva on the front guards, it had the square headlights circa 1981

Sportiva 2 has cloth interior, wind up windows, 15in GTV alloys, bilsteins, front spoiler, same momo wheel, a more discrete body stripe as in the photo above with sportiva II on the rear guards, chrome wheel arch moulds and the twin headlight front circa 1982/83

Dont stab me if im not 100% correct but thats the gist of it, and apparently it was done by Alfa Aus and the cars were numbered on the glovebox lid, think 100 or 200 were built maybe..........

Guys if your interested I have an original road test of the Sportiva 2 from Motor Manual in 1982, can scan it and send you a copy if you like 
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Mat Francis

Brilliant stuff Pep. Much more to it than i thought.

i would LOVE a copy of that review please. i can offer you a modern motor road test of a 1.8L alfetta in return if interested.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

k76

Dehne, my sportiva II is number 29

Pep, thanks for the rundown of the specs. I feel ripped of with the wind up windows and cloth interior! My car has a Momo wheel, but I thought it was an aftermarket one. If it's original that's great. No bilsteins, but fairly new koni reds instead. And sadly no 15" wheels either, just the standard alfetta 14x5.5 alloys.
It makes sense that this was done by Alfa Australia. Archivo Storico has my car noted as just an Alfetta 2000, no mention of the Sportivo. Since my car had been sitting for 2 years plus before being sold makes me think the sportivo badging was a way to get rid of old stock.
I would love a copy of that roadtest. I'll pm you my email adress.

Kris

'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

alfagtv58

K76, I wouldn't be too upset about the wind up windows and cloth interior, IMHO opinion the twin headlight front more than makes up for it......besides who would want power windows where the motor is mounted outside of the door trims, thats just too funny!!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

k76

I've got electric mirrors though (working!!), not sure if they are original or not. The control box on the centre console definitely looks like an afterthought.

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Craig Sinclair

Just working from memory, but I think that they also had a lower diff ratio as well to "enhance" the performance. Someone may be able to verify?
Current: 2012 Toyota 86
1976 Alfetta GT
Previous Alfa ownership:
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1977 Alfetta GTV
33 Quadrifoglio