twin spark motor in 105

Started by mozzie, May 19, 2009, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozzie

hello every body

i have a 105 in the garage that i have had for 10 years & have tried to put a 2nd hand motor in it a couple of times
only to find out that the motors were in bad condition.
i have been thinking about a twin spark conversion???
is it worth while & who does it

all suggestions appreciated

regards  mozzie

Barry Edmunds

Mozzie

There have been a couple of 105's with transplanted TS motors. Suggest you talk to Stuart Thompson and or Damian Crea who have both been through the process and can relate their experiences of how much fun the cars are to drive with the 'new' motor.
Barry

Dan H

Hi Mozzie

I am in the (early) stages of fitting a TS to a 64 GT.  I also know that Nick Hodgman is doing the same thing (NJH1964).  I can't comment yet on what it will be like to drive, but by all accounts it provides a fairly easy increase in HP (and hopefully also economy, reliability and longevity).

There is a fair bit that needs to be done to make the conversion work, but nothing that hasn't been done before and nothing that a decent mechanic and auto electrician can't sort out.

Some of the main things that need doing are:
- drilling the end of the crank so that it can be mated to the front mounted gearbox
- wiring up the ecu etc from a TS
- modifying the fuel tank/installing a surge tank and the TS fuel pump assembly
- potential bodywork modifications under the bonnet on the drivers side to accomodate the air box and injectors etc from the TS (particularly if you have a step-nose GT/GTV)
- modification so that the TS runs a single 8 point distributor.

Those are the main mods and it is probably also worth using a hydraulic clutch gearbox as the cable clutch system on the earlier cars probably can't handle the power so easily.

If your 105 is a GTV 2000 you probably have a fair headstart on some of the "nice to have" parts, eg the gearbox, driveline, LSD and decent brakes.

As I say, a bit of work, but I'm hoping that it will all be worthwhile.

Dan

enzo1891

the hardest part in that conversion is finding the motor and accsories to go with it.