Steering wheel need help

Started by goran, May 13, 2009, 11:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goran

Hi all,

I need to take of a steering wheel and ignition lock, it's urgent and i just need to confirm something before i do it today.

I took off the plastic bit and there is only one bolt underneath in the middle of the steering wheel , looks like 24 - 26 mm  is this the only bold holding the steering wheel?

and ignition lock, what's the best way to take it off?

Thanks

cjheath

Quoteis this the only bolt holding the steering wheel?

Yes, but after you remove it, the fit might still be too tight for you to remove the wheel. It fits over a spline too, so it won't rotate. Pull hard on the wheel and rock it slightly and if it doesn't budge you'll need to make or borrow a puller.

There are two threaded (metric) holes in the hub either side of the shaft, about 5mm I think. The puller is a steel plate perhaps 100mm by 30mm by 5mm with 2 bolts that screw into these holes. In the middle of the puller is another hole with a bolt or bit of all-thread, having a nut below the plate. After fitting the two bolts, rotate the nut to raise it and the bar will pull the steering wheel off.

Don't try to use a normal gear or pulley puller, there's only a small ledge it can hold on to and it'll damage the alloy.

1750GTV

This is my steering wheel puller. They are available at all auto shops.

The lock is held in by a 'safety' retaining screw as shown. You'll have to cut a slot in it to remove it as it designed with no grip points so as to deter thieves. Also, as you can see, the retaining screw can be in a couple of places.

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

cjheath

Quote from: 1750GTV on May 13, 2009, 07:29:53 PM
This is my steering wheel puller. They are available at all auto shops.
Nice one. Back when I last did this, I don't think these were readily available, only the $$$ manufacturer's part.

How do you cut the slot? I'd use a Dremel, but I have one - what do other folk do?

1750GTV

From memory the retaining screw is recessed.
I think I carefully drilled it, glued an old drill bit tightly into the hole and unscrewed it.
I did it many years ago so there may be a better way now.
Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Shire_GTV

Hi people,

Just wondering whether it is wise or not to discuss how to remove the steering lock on our cars in a public forum like here on the net.

Maybe just speak to your local guru and they will have you pointed in the right direction in no time.

Yes, I asked my local alfa dude how to do it and he shared "the secret". I after practicing on one car I had my next one off in less than 5 minutes. Given the quality of the doors locks on old GTV's do you really feel safe leaving yours out in public with ANYONE able to remove the locks?

Just opinions.

1750GTV

Quote from: Shire_GTV on May 14, 2009, 11:48:22 PM
Just wondering whether it is wise or not to discuss how to remove the steering lock on our cars in a public forum like here on the net.

Valid concern I guess, though I don't think we've released any dark secrets and given the propensity of these cars for electrical gremlins, the thief may not get far :)
There are also plenty of diagrams like the one below, as well as detailed electrical schematics, available in the public domain to assist those would be car thieves in their research.

Out of interest, it took me three attempts and a day and a half to get the glue to set properly before I could undo that retaining screw. As you suggest, there are much quicker ways. Finally, I never said exactly where the screw was hidden, though it's pretty obvious when you look.

Enough paranoia ..

In the end, I wouldn't be relying on 40 year old technology to prevent car theft.
Now if you want to discuss the car alarm/engine immobiliser ......
Or how to pick the lock on the steering wheel/clutch pedal bar ....

Chris

1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

cjheath

Quote from: Shire_GTV on May 14, 2009, 11:48:22 PM
Do you really feel safe leaving yours out in public with ANYONE able to remove the locks?

Given how hard it would be to get away with disposing of one of these without someone in the community finding out, yes, I do. I still lock, but I don't feel it's really necessary.