Alfetta Pedal Box into 105 Engine Bay

Started by njh1964, April 16, 2009, 09:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njh1964

Hi All,

I've read Phil Storr's article about converting a LHD Spider to RHD using the hanging pedals, pedal box, firewall transfer rod, the passenger side firewall bracket and the booster & master cylinder from an Alfetta. See attached photo of the conversion borrowed from Phil's site.

It seems to me that the key benefits of this conversion would be: (i) hanging rather than standing pedals (a personal preference), (ii) a single, more compact booster, and, (iii) a more readily available/repairable dual circuit brake master cylinder... have you seen the price of a repro RHD 105 brake master cylinder lately???

The conversion may not be original, but it should be significantly more cost effective, neater and more reliable than the old RHD 105/115 under floor brake/clutch master cylinder setup.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has done this conversion in a 105/115, and, if so, I'd like to get some ideas/photos/sketches of the modifications required to the brake and clutch pedals to adapt them to their new life in the driver's side footwell of a 105.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

Gary Pearce

Hmm. Trickey subject. If you have ever driven a pendent pedal 105 you may be dissapointed in the feel.
Just my opinion, but part of the enjoyment of 105's for me is the tactile experience of, the feel of the steering, feel of the gear change and feel of the brakes. Not the least the ease of heal and toe in standing pedal cars. There has been European articles written about the benefits (and there is not many benefits) of brakes on  R/H/drive 105's over L/H/drives. Yes the painful under floor master cylinders are a bit more trouble, but as you say you get what you pay for. I find ABS Brake Services Australia wide overhaul the cylinders for about $160.00 Sorry if I have stuffed your plans.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

njh1964

Hi Gary,

It's feedback that I'm after, so thanks for your's.

I guess you've touched on the key issue I have with the stock 105 braking system... the sheer expense of maintaining it. As you say, around $160 to overhaul (or $600 to replace) a dual circuit master cylinder, $175 to overhaul (or $300 to replace) each of the two Bonaldi boosters, replacing remote reservoirs, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, cost isn't everything... it often goes with the territory of messing around with older cars... and you do indeed get what you pay for. However, aesthetics aside, more modern and readily available brake parts do have a certain appeal... I'd much rather spend the money making her go than stop ;D

Anyway, if anyone out there has done the Alfetta pedal box swap into a 105, then any tips would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

Colin Byrne

In any brake pedal design the biggest challenge in gaining the best pedal feel is reducing, as much as possible, any compliance between the pedal and the activation of the MC.  This may seem like a simple task, but it is amazing how much force you can apply to a break pedal and the MC (Particularly after the pedal ratio has been taken into account).  My view is that the 105 setup is very simply and well designed, mostly due to the pedal assembly and the MC both being mounted off the same chassis rail.  This design aspect causes the generated Pedal/MC force to be taken through the relatively strong chassis rail rather than the firewall in most hanging pedal style cars.  If the only reason for doing such a conversion was do replace the MC I think it would be much easier to fabricate a bracket from the original mount to the different MC.  In fact that is basically what I did to fit twin MC with a balance bar on my car.  Just my thoughts though
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Gary Pearce

Once again Colin is the Whiz. He has the perfect way of putting it. Tim, sounds like good advice from a Targa class winner to me. (No pressure Col)
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

GTAM1

Alfaholics have a twin MC kit avaialble if you don't want to manufacture the set up yourself. We're not all as skilled as Col ;)!
I've purchased a few items from them and they have all been of top quality.
Personally the floor mounted set up is by far the best. I've removed the boosters as well the pedal is heavier but the feel is much better.
Cheers