Queensland Alfa service provider register poll

Started by MD, April 16, 2009, 08:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we compile a register of good service providers that have done work for your street or race car?

Register of dedicated Alfa workshops
5 (83.3%)
Register of good panels shops
0 (0%)
Register of racing modification workshops
1 (16.7%)
Register of custom fabricators
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: May 07, 2009, 08:15:04 PM

MD

General Service

Increasingly it is getting harder to find good competent facilities to carry out work on our Alfas. Not only is the model range getting bigger making the competency skills harder but some of the former players are either permanently or temporarily out of action. I am talking about service facilities that eat, live and breathe Alfas. I am not talking about facilites that have general competencies because invariably they wind up coming up short.

Who are these guys? Where are they? What services can they provide for Alfa enthusiasts?

Racing

The second category is the rise in motor racing interest at club level. Without doubt, there will be a need to deviate from the standard vehicle based upon the individuals needs and the nature of competition. If the car owner cannot do the work himself, who can assist. Who can fabricate stuff for you to racing standards from engine builds, gearbox mods, brakes, drivetrains etc.?

I propose we collectively contribute this information over time as we have work done and it is satisfactory. At that time the details should be entered into the register so it can be accessed by anyone in Queensland needing such facilities for their own application.

What do you think?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfasteve

Great idea. A lot of the more specialized services ie race I have found out through word of mouth. This means what you find out depends on who you ask.

MD

Trial and error for competencies can be a costly and frustrating thing, just ask me...we can all learn from each others mistakes.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

Great idea Mike.

Do you propose we just store information from shared stories here on the forum?

Brent

1750GTV

Good idea.
I tried to vote for both a dedicated Alfa workshop and a good panel shop, but I could only vote for one or the other, not both.
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

MD

Brent,

I suppose my idea is to canvas the need and support for the idea of it. If there is  general support, then I guess the simplest thing would be to start a new dedicated topic for the pupose of placing in there a collective from contributors.

It would be a much better idea if the forum had some other mechanism to filter out just the critical information in some kind of fixed format say like a directory so you could look up the type of service you need without having to troll through years of contributions !

Mr site administrator, please feel free to chime in ..

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Evan Bottcher

Two options I can think of.

1. You contact the webmaster of the QLD AROCA website and ask them to create you a page like you ask?
http://www.aroca-qld.com/committee.php

2. Create a thread in the QLD section of this forum, and title it something like "Queensland Alfa Service Providers".  I would then make it "sticky" (so it's always at the top).  Get people to reply to the thread with suggestions, then edit your original post to add them to a single list.

I think the second option is pretty easy - the alfabb.com uses this for their supplier list (http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/anything-about-alfa-romeos-alfabb-com/4361-supplier-list.html).  Phil Baskett also updates a sticky thread for the Victorian club calendar on this forum.

If you create the thread, PM me and I'll make it sticky.  If you have trouble editing your original post, let me know and I'll help.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MD

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfasteve

Hi Mike, I seem to be running a self-funded cottage industry in 900 series engine (etc)swaps. If asked about this the story would involve more tales of woe and nashing of teeth than a J.R.R. Tolkien story,oh, and some orcs blood as well. It's all good because I still wake up with butterflies in my chest thinking of the seconds it will take off my lap times.The pictures below(hopefully) will tell more than words can.

hammer

Nice Steve. Go the 16 valve! Bring on the battles.

camwright

there is only one place in brisbane to take your alfa for quality service, repairs and performance. automotion at albion. italian car experts and enthusiasts with experience working on old and new alfa romeos, ferraris, maseratis. from mechancal restorations to log book servicing. check them out at automotion.com.au.

MD

Well the poll has concluded. Would have liked a little more participation but that's life. Keeping things simple is the key I guess and so we will go with Evan's second suggestion.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

WhiteAlfaGTV6

Who does CAMS approved rollcages in Brisbane????

MD

Yes, please see Service Provider List being developed.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0