my 1750 blowing black smoke

Started by sportscar, April 15, 2009, 06:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportscar

when i start my 1750 it blows alot of black smoke.Is the engine ready for the scrap heap or does it just need a good tune up
i am concerned the rings could need replacing.?

MD

Black smoke is usually indicative of exessive amount of fuel in the mixture. The carbon in the hydrocarbon fuel cracks as it is not fully burned giving off carbon black smoke. Blue smoke is when the oil rings, valve guides and seals have left for a picnic in the Bahamas...

Get a tune up..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

AndrewO

Do you use your choke when you start it?
If you do (some people say never touch it) then use it just while cranking and put it in as soon as it catches.

My car did the same when I first got it because it hadn't been driven for a long time but only turned over.  It needed some good "driving" at normal temperatures to get rid of the build up of gunk.  Now it is fine.

An easy way is to check the spark plugs and if they are black and sooty then it is running rich or isn't driven enough.

1750GTV

When I lived in South Brisbane some years ago, I used to take my car to Bud Ryans Mobil servo just down Annerley road from the Mater Hospital. He was a great believer in the 'Italian tune-up' which basically involved going up and down the rev range in 2nd or 3rd gear for 20 minutes or so. His 'track' led around the curves on the river in Dutton Park and West End, long before the plod took any interest in this type of 'hooning'. Besides, the good folk of those suburbs got used to the odd Alfa, Fiat, Ferrari and Aston Martin being hammered through their side streets. Possibly dangerous and not politically correct nowadays, but a real hoot, particularly as Bud was a damn good driver as well - usually the owners would be invited to take the front passenger seat.
Buds' belief, shared by many, was that these high compression engines didn't like being pottered around in the city and would eventually 'oil up' and start misfiring and belching black smoke. This type of driving usually blew most of the crap out of the engine - or, at least, that was the theory :) He would say that if you wanted to drive in the city, go buy a Fiat 500.
I'm not suggesting that you do this - check everything else first, timing, tune, plugs etc. - but if all is well, your car may need nothing but a good long drive at a reasonable, but legal speed.
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

sportscar

hi everybody,thanks for replying
I think it needs a good tune up.cheers