Removing Instrument Dial Covers?

Started by Roundtail, April 12, 2009, 09:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundtail

Hi, I wonder if anyone has some advice on how to get behind my dial glass to clean it? I've got some condensation/misting making my speedo/tacho unclear. I'd also like to take off the 3 angled centre dial covers for water temp/oil pressure etc.

I've got '69 spider if that helps. Not sure if has a similar dash to any other similar era alfa's.

Cheers.
Shaun

1750GTV

Hi Shaun,
First, welcome to the list.
Next, in order to clean the inside of the instrument glass, you'll need to remove the instruments from the dash. I own a GTV and it's no easy job, though I don't know what it'll be like on a Duetto.
Finally, in order to get the glass off, you will need to remove the circular silver glass retainer. This job is best done by an instrument maker as it is easy to butcher the retainer or crack the glass. I'm not trying to discourage you, but spares for these instruments are hard to come by.

I've posted a couple of photos of what I mean. The rear part of the retainer is folded over and you will need to gently pick this fold up so you can remove the retainer to get the glass out. Upon refitting, you'll need to gently refold it without bruising or denting the front face of the retainer.

I had my instruments professionally cleaned when I pulled my car apart a while ago as I wasn't sure I could do all of this without ruining them.

Post some photos of your car sometime. The Duettos are a particular favourite of mine, and also no doubt, of many others on the list.

Happy Easter,
Chris

PS: The minor instruments are similarly constructed.
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Roundtail

Thanks Chris

I remember attempting to get the instruments out a few years ago and after an hour of frustration and bruised knuckles, I gave up.
I might have a chat to our local Alfa mechanic for some tips as well.
What type of professional cleaned your dials? A watchmaker?

Cheers for the advice and pics so far.

Shaun

1750GTV

Yeah - he is a retired watch/instrument maker.
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV