alfa 33 non start

Started by meizhak, April 08, 2009, 01:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meizhak

hi all,

the other day i bought a 1985 alfa33. paid next to nothing for it which is a plus.

the problem,

she turns over but will not start, it has no spark.

is the one with ignition module and heatsink mounted on inner guard and some other electrical unit attached to the firewall.

I have ignition power and ground to the coil, coil ok, not sure about the module or the other electrical unit cant seem to find any info in the manual i have.

has anyone had this problem before?

is there a simpler setup anyone has nutted out?

anyy help will be appreciated

cheers

meizhak
1979 alfetta gtv 2000`
series 1 alfa 33 1.7i 16v

alfasteve

G'day Meizhak, just keep tracing it (spark) backwards. Have you got no spark at the plugs or at the coil? Spark out of coil lead but not at the plug means dizzy cap or rotor button.Do you have power going into the coil ie. test light on power wire on the coil but none coming out of the coil means earth or wiring onto coil. Does it look like it has been messed with ie spanner marks around dizzy? Check timing. I usually start with the timing then go around the ignition loom with a test light.
Regards
Steve
btw how is your battery, could be coil robbing,enough power to wind it over but not enough to provide spark. if you haven't heard of this believe me it happens

meizhak

steve,

b loke i got the car of had been trying to fix it. he had origionally hooked constant power from the battery positive to the coil thus pretty much melting it internally. I got a msd unit from a bloke at work and a coil  I had at home and now she goes
1979 alfetta gtv 2000`
series 1 alfa 33 1.7i 16v