2009 AROCA 6 Hour - Winton

Started by Big Trev, April 05, 2009, 03:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: shrek on October 21, 2009, 07:32:43 PM
Man you ALFA guys are precious.  We were just trying to help you with some constructive criticism, but all you guys seem to be able to do is hang shit like little kids.  I did expect a half intelligent response from someone there at least.  Not to be I suppose?

And as far as I can see, your two points of constructive criticism have been addressed in an intelligent manner.  The first regarding pit lane speed is a valid point which has been addressed here, and I'm sure will be discussed by the organising committe.  The second regarding the 40% rule has also been addressed.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and have another look at this whole thread.  It seemed to me like there was a little bit of piss-taking, unfortunately it doesn't take much for people to get the wrong impression and the argument descends into a shit-fight.  Going back and editing your posts so can 'change' your opinion in a later post doesn't help much either (but I'm not going to mention any names).

Personally I think most people appreciate the Pedder group's attitude to the event, and the effort you put into your appearance.  But complaining that you didn't recieve enough accolades for it is a little, um...precious?

Doug Gould

OK, I'm getting annoyed now. I tried to give Shrek an honest, frank reply because I think its consistent with the honest, open, friendly character we want the event to have. This is going on too long and turning into a forum of Chinese whispers. I also think its going beyond reasonable debate.

Here are the facts. Shrek (and Shrek alone) has raised 2 criticisms:
The first was about the math of the scoring, and its been shown the our math was correct.
The second was about pitlane speeds, with the assertion that it drew a lot of negative comments up and down pitlane. So, now let me tell you that just 1 guy was penalised for pitlane speed, that he was measured at some 18% over the limit and that it was at a congested time in the pits when it would have been prudent to be travelling at less than the limit. The penalty is 1 lap, which I don't think is enough to materially affect the results (a subject I'll be doing more work on in the coming weeks). I don't much care what is thought about the gun we used, but it isn't 18% inaccurate and it wasn't selectively inaccurate for 1 car out of the 204 entered. This car (and I still haven't checked my log to see who it was and I don't want to) was the single fastest car all day in the Pits. As far as I'm concerned, defending this guy is not constructive criticism (and I remind you that unless I check my log, as far as I know he could be an Alfa guy). The key safety issues at Winton that attract penalties are: blendline, pit & paddock speed, and obeying flag signals. I thought I made this pretty clear at the briefing.

I've posted my email for anyone wishing to discuss it in more detail, and no-one has contacted me. We actively try and improve the event each year. I've already made a formal written review of things for us to consider for next year and within the next couple of weeks we'll have a meeting of the committee to do a full postmortem.  Anyone who wants to discuss real issue with me can email me on admin@test-trak.com. I'll respond with my real email & phone number with the caveat that I leave for an overseas business trip at the end of next week and its also my younger daughters first VCE exam, so things are getting hectic for me and some of my replies may not be immediate.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Doug Gould

08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Barry Edmunds

Big Trev

What number is the car you are chasing photos of?

I roamed around the circuit and took a few photos.

Ring me on 0405 383 431

Barry

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Considering the non-professional nature of the event, I think the club, backed by a great team of volunteers did an incredibly fine job.
Highlights were many and there were very few negatives considering the scale of the event and the hordes of people involved.
I only have one gripe to flag for serious debate.  Despite my subtle suggestions (on numerous occasions to many members), Neil did not end each driver briefing with 3 impassioned rounds of 'Can you dig it?'

(Thanks for the link Sheldon.)
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Quote from: Big Trev on October 28, 2009, 12:14:18 PM
Obviously an in-joke
No in-joke but it would be pretty funny.

"Welcome all to the 4th running of the AROCA Victoria 6-hour regularity event.  Can you dig it?........
......Do not cross the blend line when entering the track.  Can you dig it?...........
........There is no refuelling in the pits.  Can you dig it people?............
..........Remember to return your dorians at the end of the day.  I say, can you dig it?.........
Can you dig it?! (crowd applause)
CAN YOU DIG IT?!!! (crowd applause and cheers)
CAAAAANN YOOOOOUU DIG IIIIIIIIIIITTTTT?!!!!!!!!!! (crowd goes completely mental)"

I think I would piss my pants with laughter.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.

Sheldon McIntosh

If it's good enough for Cookie Monster (1.07 in).

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Victor Lee

I love YouTube!

(And this thread has really gone off topic!   ;D)

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Victor Lee on January 02, 2010, 02:20:37 PM
I love YouTube!

(And this thread has really gone off topic!   ;D)

I hear Sheldon is offering a chocolate fish to anyone who can secure all the girls in that video for pit duties at the 2010 6 hour...... 

There you go, back on topic.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.