33 green clover leaf

Started by dirty harry, April 04, 2009, 06:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirty harry

just wordering how do i tell if my car is a green clover leaf its an 89 1.7L 33 its got twin webber carbbies spoiler on the back sortof side skirt things if these are any help.
also what does the clover leaf actually mean i know its some sort of race depertment tunning i think but what do they actualy do and what would be on the cloverleaf of my car that wouldnt be on the standard model
cheers

Sheldon McIntosh

Don't know if this helps much, but here you go...  As far as I'm aware a "Green Cloverleaf" means you get about 10bhp and a green badge that fades after 10 years.  But I might just be cynical.

Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 Ti

In Europe during 1986, Alfa Romeo laid plans for the next major mechanical change for the by now evergreen flat four boxer engine.

This involved three areas of development and would eventually result in a substantial increase  in power output and over all performance.

Stage one provided for the capacity to be lifted to 1712cc, achieved by raising bore and stroke to 87mm x 75mm respectively.

Camshaft profiles and carburettor jetting were also slightly modified providing 118hp at 6000 rpm.

Stage two involved modifying inlet and exhaust valve actuation by deleting the tappet shim method of adjustment and opting for a hydraulic system that relied on engine oil pressure for more acurate valve operation and less maintenance required.

The third and final stage involved the adaption of Bosch Jetronic fuel injection.

Stage one, the 1.7 engine was first seen in Australia in October 1987 as the Alfa 33 1.7 Ti.

This car followed the trend set by the earlier 1.5 Ti of having the front and rear bumper bars colour coded to the body, a large rear spoiler mounted to the hatch and the return of the Green Clover Leaf badge, symbolic of past racing glory and designating the car as the "sports" version of the model range.

The interior featured deeply contoured bucket seats that were very similar to the Sprint QV and 33 1.5 Ti, but trimmed in dark grey and black fabric with a red strip to highlight the check pattern.

The same material was used for the door trims with red carpet adding a strong contrast to the overall dark colours used.

Mechanically, new up rated springs and shock absorbers were used as well as ventilated front disc brakes.

hammer

Hey Sheldon,

Don you have an explanation of how the 33 1.5ti generates an additional 10hp over the 33 1.5 gcl? My brother has a 33gcl that we are going to do up for a little track car and we have a 33ti donor car.

Cheers,

Brent

Evan Bottcher

I know the 105hp motor has bigger cams - we measured them.  Not sure about compression.  Pretty sure the valves are the same size.  You could just swap the cams from the donor car?

For 'dirty harry' - I don't know the difference for the 1.7 cloverleaf, probably not much though.  It's not race department tuning as such, at most just a little more power and some trim differences.

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

hammer

Thanks Evan,

We will have a look at those cams - at least we will get someone else to have a look at them. Chris and I don't know @#$% from clay about engine internals. We plan to whack on a more open exhaust, toss out anything that doesn't resemble a steering wheel, pedals or a gear stick, put in a cage, race seat and harness, stiffen up the suspension, throw on some sticky rubber and let the little brother loose in it. He pedals like a demon so should have at least a couple of years of fun with the car in that state of trim before we have to look at any mechanical improvements. We will of course, put in some decent brake fluid and pads.

We only have a couple of blokes in the under 1600cc class up here so it will be good to get another car in that category.

Cheers,

Brent

dirty harry

cheers for the reply evan bottcher thats really clarified my ideas