trouble with windscreen wipers 105 1750 1968 veloce

Started by lombardi, April 01, 2009, 07:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lombardi

HI alfisti,can anyone help,i am having trouble with windscreen wipers,they work for about 5 min,then stop working for about same time,then mysteriously start working again,alfa electrical gremlins or what.pls help.ciao and grazie
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Lombardi,

The wiper system is pretty basic on these cars.
Things I would check;
- Mechanical linkages, driving the wiper arms.  These become clogged and benefit greatly from cleaning and a dab of grease.
- The integrity of the motor itself.  The drainage hole for the scuttle (I think that is what its called) in front of the windscreen becomes clogged.  Water then pools in the scuttle, drenching the internals of the wiper motor.  Rust then sets in, causing poor operation/failure of the motor.  New quality (Japanese) replacements are available from Classic Alfa in the UK (and others).
Alternatively, have someone check the motor to see if it can be reconditioned.
- Wiper switch.  Check all electrical connections are sound.

Cheers,

Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

1750GT

Agree Marco, these are some of the usual suspects. Another more sinister one is that your alternator may not be charging properly (slipping belt etc. or alternator itself) and this problem goes undetected often as the car doesn't actually need alot of juice to operate. If all else fails check this. You can also check this by seeing if the alt waring light is on when this happens or if your driving at night the lights dimming and wipers not running as you are driving.

May have nothing to do with it but it is one of the culprits particularly if the wipers are operating perfectly fine during those five minutes.

1750GT

adriank

check earths, always the first place to start with electricals
'74 GT 1600 Junior
'00 Kawasaki W650 (daily drive)

Barry Edmunds

If the problem is with your wiper motor you could replace it with a wiper motor form a 75. They are small and fit into the space under the scuttle panel and have the same 3-bolt mounts as the original

Barry

Davidm1600

Barry you are a fountain of knowledge and thanks too as I will remember this for my 105s.   :)  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina