Awesome fun at Lakeside Park

Started by hammer, March 22, 2009, 11:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

I don't want to brag (too much) but I had an absolutely awesome weekend of motorsport this weekend, at the new and improved Lakeside Park.

I booked myself in for the Big Weekend of Saturday morning practice, Saturday afternoon sprints and Sunday racing and had an absolute blast. I had never before driven in anger on the legendary circuit and I have come away in awe of the place. I am sore and totally knackered but man the adrenalin flowed all weekend.

The guilietta performed like a legend and although I need to grow some bigger nuts, we clocked some reasonable times.

For anyone contemplating a crack at the Alfa Romeo East Coast Challenge in July, I suggest you start sorting your car now and lock July 4 & 5 into your diary. it is going to be a weekend to remember. We had approximately 1000 spectators in attendance today, which made the racing an even bigger buzz. Wait until they hear the cackle of a full field of Alfas going for broke in July!

Cheers,

Brent

spieret

Way to go Brent. I'll have to go for a sprint in the GTV when i get my brakes sorted.

Cheers

Tony
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

alfagtv58

Brent,

I have a small number of Vic's have indicated interest in coming up for the ECC in July.....trying to get a few more though!!  Here's hoping.

Glad to hear all the positive reports coming from Lakeside!

How is the Giulietta going?  All better after the incident last year?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

ANT_GTV6

Brent,

Tracks great, cars great, drivers great. Sounds like an absolute blast. Sadly i couldnt make it. Will hopefully be at the next one.

Cheers,

Anthony

hammer

Tony and Anthony, can't wait to see you blokes out there.

Phil: Good to hear there are some Vics showing interest. The Guilietta is running strong. I have had to soften up the rear end a little as the R tyres we run don't have the grip that Jim's big Michelin slicks had and I was getting a bit to oversteery for my liking. It sure has some poke for an old Nord engine!

Catch you in July,

Brent

dreamboat

I got out to Lakeside on Saturday afternoon, and took a couple of pics of the alfas there....

No exciting action pictures as I was on the straight - but pictures anyhow.

Rob

jimnielsen

Brent.. what about some photos of the Giulietta in action? What happened in race three - after you did a 1:05 - but only 4 laps?

glad to see the Giulietta going around!

jim~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

alfagtv58

Couple of great Alfetta sedans there, giving you some idea's Matt Francis??
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

ItalCarGuy

After seeing the pic of Ken Percival's 105 coupe with John French's name on it too I thought I would post a pic for John French at Lakeside a few years earlier! ;D
They were taken by a work colleague, Doug, who has had a bad case of the alfa virus over the years!

Mat Francis

mmmm dont do it to me Phil! got big plans at the moment without you guys giving me even bigger, more expensive ideas!

Having said that, that is one damn nice pair of Alfettas.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

hammer

Jim,

I spun the poor Guilietta! I actually had a tough day at the office. I thought I got black flagged for noise during qualifying, so I came back into the pits and ended up starting from the back of the field. Fortunately they are progressive grids so by the end of the second race I had worked my way up past all the Alfas and started from mid pack for race three. I got off to a good start, clocked my two fastest ever Lakeside laps, overtook a young guy in a very quick Toyota MR2, then got too excited and shot off around the back of the Karrusel at the end of the main straight. No damage done, just a 180 and had to wait for all the traffic to pass before rejoining the action.

I am still short shifting in places, braking early and backing off under the bridge and down the dipper into Hungry corner, but given a few more outings I'll do the old guilietta some justice.

On the Alfetta front Matt, that silver one is a really good Targa car that Michael Lew has run in the Classic Adelaide a couple of times. The old Maroon one is Mark Jackson's second car. His new Alfetta is having its head (TS) tweaked by Vin Sharp. The new Alfetta is an absolute weapon. The old one has seen a lot of action but Jacko is one hell of a peddler and squeezes every drop of potential from it. Jacko's daughter Sian races the old Alfetta on a regular basis and has a good rivalry with my little brother Chris who often races my 75 Tspark.

cheers all,

Brent

alfasteve

G'day Brent, I had an awesome time too. I posted one of the vids my Dad took on youtube,alfa sprint race car @ lakeside,a bit of poetic license. I think I have a vid of you starting will check,can't wait for ECC.
Regards
Steve(black sprint)

hammer

Hey Steve,

Great to see you there on the weekend mate. Glad you could bring your wife and kids back on Sunday.

Catch you at the next one. I'm not out there this weekend. Have to drop the exhaust out and weld up that cracked header and do a couple of other bits an pieces.

Cheers,

Brent

MD

Mark's other Alfetta undergoing development...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer