1750 project underway ...

Started by Ash Gordon, March 22, 2009, 07:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

Hi,

Finally started some work on car today, the easy bits to start with ...
Taking a few photos so I know how it all fits back together, including wiring for brake lights etc..
Found some large "flakes" of bog in behind the bumper, underneath there's plenty of surface rust but no holes...  the metal work is quite bumpy so presuming it from previous accident damage and has been beaten back into near enough shape, then bogged to within and inch of it's life.. Bog is quite thick in some areas, which will take some removing..

Here's a few photos of before and progress shots.. ( apologies for the quality of some shots )

'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Ash Gordon

and a couple more ...

Evan Bottcher

SNAP!  Two '69 white GTVs.  Bet yours is done before mine :-(

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Ash Gordon

It's a start just got to keep going on with it now as I have been driving it on & off since I bought her 4 years ago.

As it has been running rough decided to take it off the road . It's still registered and would prefer to keep the plates so hopefull it wont take years ! Don't want to be paying for reg that I am not using. Fortuantely I can adjust insurance to reflect it's current situation.

What with a little pressure from my mates and a little more time on my hands thought it was about time to get stuck in.
The more I remove, the more potential issues I find. Left front corner is also out of shape, the headlights are crammed in there nice and tight on one side and a massive 1/2 inch gap in the top corner !

Davidm1600

Hey Evan, not snap two '69 white GTVs to be/being restored.  I also have a white '69 to restore, so make that snap 3x.  I am currently on the hunt for parts (panels), next trim etc.  I need to finish my Guilia Super first though !! Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

spoynter

alfagtv58

My money is on Ash, looks like he has a pretty good starting point, David is half through a Giulia Super resto (pics or ban David!!) and Evan is spending all his cash on new selespeed parts  :P
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Tim Jobson

At least you have had 4 years of driving enjoyment before the resto work began.   It has been 6 months since I purchased my GTV and only driven it up and down the lane (200m), I reckon it will be another 6 monts till it is at the registration stage.

Will look with interest in what you find and how you repair it!

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

pep105

Ash looks like our cars were repaired in the past by the same butcher Ive got a chunk of bog in the form of a bumper mount on the rear panel as well

Dave as Phil said pics of the Guilia resto please

Evan forget the selespeed spend the money on the 1750 
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

1750GT

Ash whilst you've got the car apart you may wish to consider turning your car into the following beast, follow link to the stangalfa! the add on may even get you over some of the body issues!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/09/alfa-romeo-gtv-with-ford-mustang-v8.html

1750GT

Ash Gordon

I think a more sympathetic / original resto is the order of the day rather than dumping a monsterous V8 under the hood. it would "solve" a few issues though..

The orignal 1750 still pulls well, 86,000 miles on the clock - although it's probably been around twice..

Going to stick to the Hawthorne White colour and the Black interior. Seats need some attention but the rest is in quite good nick. A small 2cm long crack in the dash running back from the window side to the vent should be easily repaired . The headlining is still in a1 cond, but does anyone know why above the rear seat there is a raised section, added headroom perhaps ???

The body work is the hurdle. The "repairer" that "fixed" the bodywork last time was lazy with the work and rather than align the panels, whacked them on ( rear and front panels have been replaced)  with some B grade welding then bogged the surface up to make them level. TOP WORK !!

Then there's a smothering of deadner under the car, well it actually runs up about a 3 inches on the side too, a go faster stripe that probably weighs 10 kgs...

loads still to do - so place bets with care...

1750GT

Yeh, just joking about the stangalfa, but it is interesting how spastic some owners will go. I agree I love the engine note and handling of the Alfa 17fidy. We are currently at Ocean Grove for easter and my son and I took it out today for a bash along the Great Ocean Road!

Aside from the occassional geriatric driver, we had a ball, the road holding at ten tenth's (after having all of the various front and rear suspension rubbers renewed) is spectacular. A great afternoon, this was our third trip down this section and it was just as thrilling as the first time. I reckon we should do an EMR or day thing down this road.

About the headlining at the rear, I am told that the origianl headlining did not meet clearance spec's for racing homolgation, so Alfa (rather than re-design the roof profile) raised the headlining by putting in the raised section. Don't get rid of this as it is an original feature on all 1750's.

I am not sure whether they fixed this in the GTV 2000, but I am sure that someone on this forum would know?

1750GT

Ash Gordon

About to start removing Engine , gearbox etc and just wanted to know if there are any tips for storing these mechanical parts longer term. i.e removing plugs and pouring a small amount of oil into each cylinder??

Any tips would be appreciated.

Davidm1600

Ash, yep your ideas re pouring a little oil down the cylinder after removing the plugs is definitely worth doing. If you can occasionally turn the motor over by hand this also will help.  The key is to try to ensure that seals don't dry up since otherwise when you put everything back in the restored GTV, you may encounter a few problems (smoke from burning oil getting past seals, valve guides, oil leaks etc).  I am guilty of this as my GTV is in storage and I really need to go and turn its motor over a few times. 

Depending on how long your car is stripped down for the resto, you should also think about the brakes etc since once again the hydraulic seals can also dry out from a lack of use. Another reminder to myself  ;D ;D  Good luck with your project and hope to see more pics to help inspire.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Davidm1600

Oh bugger guys I will have to try to take some more pics of the project Super and GTV and post them.  Couldnt stand being banned !! ;D  Just one question how do I post pics (eg. use the additional options key, and ??  )
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina