Replacing outer CV boot

Started by DavidF, March 12, 2009, 08:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidF

Hello all,

New to the forum, I have recently bought a 1982 Alfasud TI which has a split outer CV boot.  Out came the fix-it-yourself Haynes manual only to discover there does not appear to be a circlip to allow me to remove the CV so I can put the new boot on.  Instead of a circlip it has two fixed unbroken rings.  An alternative I was going to try next would be to remove the driveshaft from the inner end and slide the boot over that end.

Attached is the photo of what I see, does anyone have any thoughts on how the CV can be removed?

Thanks,
Dave
1982 Sud Ti
2006 Brera 2.2 JTS

Ray Pignataro

circlip is on the other side of the  cv nuckle

DavidF

Ah thanks Ray, I misunderstood the order of assembly in diagram.

Cheers,
Dave
1982 Sud Ti
2006 Brera 2.2 JTS

Thmpar

I've always removed inner and slide it on but the inner joint is a pain to put back together.
Or the other way is the stretch cv boots they go over the outer joint but you would need to find someone with them and the spreader tool.

DavidF

An update... went for the inner joint option, looked easier than getting the hub off and was able to get the new boot on.  Took some effort to remove the drive shaft from the inner CV, but got there in the end.

Unfortunately when I removed the drive shaft assembly I found that the inner boot was also split so without the a spare will have to put it back together another day, the part is on order.  Thanks all for the help, will post some photos when the car is in one piece again.

Cheers,
Dave
1982 Sud Ti
2006 Brera 2.2 JTS