75 3.0

Started by deano, November 15, 2008, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Byrne

Sounds like it requires attention, is the crack running from any mounting points (bolt holes)?
bit hard to advise without some pics, but sounds like its time for some welding
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

deano

wont allow me to post pics on this forum, posted them on alfabb

heres the link

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/australian-forum/145787-alfa-75-v6-engine-mounts.html

'91 75 3.0
'85 GTV6
'88 75 3.0
'15 Defender 110

Colin Byrne

Wow, that is a serious crack! If you just weld it up there is a good chance that the crack will reappear as the metal in that area will be very fatigued, if you weld it up and then weld some flat patches over the box section you may have a better chance of it lasting.
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Southern75

Yes I agree but weld the crack up before putting the plates on.

Probably also check with someone like Vin Sharpe about some other reinforcements that could potentially be done while the welder is in operation
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

deano

hey guys,

since november ive spent hours working on the 75. in the process of getting all the little things ready for the roadworthy, i destroyed the 1st/2nd gear selector ring, half of which was my fault and the other half being my sloppy linkages, so out came the gearbox, a rebuild and back in it went a month later. then, after taking the guard off, i found that crack, so that got fixed. then after not starting the car for a month, the starter motor wouldnt fire so it had to be rewired. then, bleeding the whole system for hours, the brake pedal still went to the floor which is in the process of getting fixed this week. last wednesday with the car almost ready for winton and a day away from being regoed, on my way out to vins to get some shocks, the clutch started slipping in 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th so the next morning I got under and quickly pulled the clutch out and then as im about to pop in an almost new plate, i lost all motivation and let winton go. its a real bummer considering i spent hours and hours under the car getting everything prepared properly for this year of sprints. i'll be ready for sandown if it kills me...

anyway another problem ive come across is the seat. Im too tall to fit in the car comfortably with a helmet on. its fairly uncomfortable even without a helmet. I've taken the spacers out from under the seat and thats lowered it a few cm but its still not going to work. I can angle grind a section out of my back and legs to sit down lower but thats too much effort so it looks like im going to have to get a seat and mount it on the floor. anyone got a seat lying around that they wanna get rid of???

cheers

dean

'91 75 3.0
'85 GTV6
'88 75 3.0
'15 Defender 110

hammer

Don't angle grind a section of your back and legs Deano, that'll hurt like hell!!