159 3.2JTS Supercharger

Started by avensy, January 19, 2024, 02:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avensy

Does anyone have any information on the mythical Autodelta Supercharger kit that once existed for the 3.2JTS? It seems to have largely disappeared from the internet and I am considering it as a project

Duk

It was a bit of a white elephant.
They used a Rotrex unit, probably the largest one.

If you wanted to do something similar, first step would be making sure someone can tune the engine management system and that the fuel injectors and pumps have enough capacity for higher flows.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

GTV6SA

They should be still available  through Autodelta U.K. they were still fitting them to 3.2s last year. Was only available via. Autodelta authorised dealers for installation & re- mapping

Stu159

AutoModa does it, or have done in the past. Probably cheaper to buy a Ferrari though.......

Stu
Now: 159 V6 Q4 (2006)
Past: Alfetta GTV 2000L (1980) chrome

Stu159

would be an awkward drive also, with that much acceleration. Despite the AWD etc, it's not the sort of car you throw around tight corners. For what they are they hang on, but you'd only be using the extra power in a straight line. You really feel the weight, especially in the front end, under acceleration in tight cornering. Would be pretty extreme supercharged, fun though I suppose, until the car could no longer handle it or you lost your license. You would need to step up other aspects to cope with the extra power, so overall it would be a big spend to end up with a well balanced vehicle

Stu
Now: 159 V6 Q4 (2006)
Past: Alfetta GTV 2000L (1980) chrome

Duk

Quote from: Stu159 on February 04, 2024, 01:59:13 AMwould be an awkward drive also, with that much acceleration. Despite the AWD etc, it's not the sort of car you throw around tight corners. For what they are they hang on, but you'd only be using the extra power in a straight line. You really feel the weight, especially in the front end, under acceleration in tight cornering. Would be pretty extreme supercharged, fun though I suppose, until the car could no longer handle it or you lost your license. You would need to step up other aspects to cope with the extra power, so overall it would be a big spend to end up with a well balanced vehicle

Stu

I've not driven a 159 Q4, but centrifugal superchargers provide more boost pressure with more engine speed.
So centrifugally supercharged engines are very progressive with their power delivery.
Maybe the car ends up a bit over powered, but I have my doubts. Weight dulls performance and the 1 thing the 159 Q4 has in spades, is weight.
If Alfa Romeo had had the brains/ b@lls to use the twin turbo, direct engine version of the engine, the 1 that made around 550Nm of torque at about 2700RPM, then the car would have moved its carcass and needed a bit more effort in the suspension department.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???