Glow plug relay

Started by Alfa-mad, November 13, 2023, 09:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa-mad

Hey experts, I have the 2.4JTDm and recently I started to get the 'glow plug pre-heating not available' message. Despite that, I can't tell any difference with the car starting, but still, I want to fix it before winter hits again.

Trouble is, did some googling and can't find any proper places selling a glow plug relay. Sure, I could take a chance of one of those drop shipping Chinese companies, but I just don't trust the part quality etc.

So does anyone know a good place to source that type of part in Melbourne preferably? If not Melbourne, then Sydney or Brisbane is also ok, Cheers.

AlfaRomeo159-2.4JTDm_glow plug relay.png

bazzbazz

The problem can be caused by either the relay failing or one or more of the glow plugs failing.

Do a check on the glow plugs first and replace any faulty items first before spending money on the relay.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Alfa-mad

Quote from: bazzbazz on November 13, 2023, 10:13:27 AMThe problem can be caused by either the relay failing or one or more of the glow plugs failing.

Do a check on the glow plugs first and replace any faulty items first before spending money on the relay.

Yeah mate I totally agree but I got the impression that the relay wasn't that expensive so if that didn't fix it, at least I'd still have a fresh relay anyway.

I take it you don't know where to source them? ;)

bazzbazz

Try Italian Automotive Spares in Melbourne or Arese Spares in Sydney.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Alfa-mad

UPDATE: Before I committed to buying a replacement glow plug controller, I did decide to check the plugs first. When I removed them, I didn't even have to do the usual testing by applying power etc. as it was quite obvious from the tip colours that one had gone bad.

Four of them had a light ashy grey tip and one was completely black. This tells me that the one with the black tip wasn't lighting up and getting red hot so it wasn't burning off fuel deposits like the others and therefore, was getting a layer of carbon buildup.

So I bought 5 new Denso plugs, chucked them in and sure enough after a couple of drives, the message disappeared and issue has been fixed.

See below for a photo of the old glow plugs...

Alfa 159 - old glow plugs.jpg