3l GTV6 PRC project

Started by redalfaracing, January 24, 2009, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

You should crack a donut more often!  Congrats on the official result.  Getting a write up for the next club magazine?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

redalfaracing

Thanks Evan, speaking of magazine articles, the HRA News appeared in my letterbox today. I found this inside,

Written by Alan Baker, who is the editor and a fellow competitor in the Millard memorial.
I sent him the story i wrote but missed the deadline by 12 hours. Never mind, he is inserting it in the next issue. I hope you enjoy his story too. Good to see the Alfa name in publications about rally again.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

116gtv

Great story you wrote there, Greg, and congrats on the result. Wish you were in NSW so we could see/hear the GTV6 in action..

I assume you wont go back to rallying the Alfetta any longer after getting used to that V6 torque? ;)

redalfaracing

Quote from: 116gtv on March 16, 2011, 01:23:21 PM
Great story you wrote there, Greg, and congrats on the result. Wish you were in NSW so we could see/hear the GTV6 in action..

I assume you wont go back to rallying the Alfetta any longer after getting used to that V6 torque? ;)

Thanks Martin, I will have to do something about getting some video happening. Would love to watch it myself. I only know what it looks and sounds like from the inside.

As for the Alfetta, Funnily enough i really miss it. That car has a lot of sentimental value to me. I'm actually thinking of fitting standard brakes and door cards to it and using it in Historic type events.
That way i can qualify for H81 awards. I can use 15inch wheels, twin spark box, and the sky is the limit with the original block and head. I will try and make some headway this year for next years season.

So many projects, so little time. :(
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

I have entered the Yakkerboo Rally for April 2nd. This is our own clubs rally. I directed the last 2 so i'm keen to have a run in this one. Dale was going to be driving it himself, so i am using a woman from our club, Susan Wasson. Now i hear Dale isn't going to drive after all. Sheeesh!
I'm not sure Susan quite understands what she is getting herself into.... She is used to naving for Peter Morrison in a Hyundai Excel... I have a feeling she is going to have to shift her navigating up a gear or 2, Quite a difference in the road speed of a bog standard 1.6 litre Excel and the GTV6. We should have a few giggles i reckon.
The Yakkerboo is staged out of Willow Grove and will be having 2 daylight stages, then a divisional break until dark, then 100 or more competitive KM's somewhere around Noojee i believe. Couple of spectator points are being talked about.

The club is after some road closure officials, Matt Francis did one for me in 2009 and enjoyed it. Let me know if you want to do one to help out this year.

I am doing an SOS/ road closure for North Eastern Car club this Saturday at Bonnie Doon. All daylight, double use. Should be a blast!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

I am sooooo pissed, Yakkerboo rally for this weekend CANCELLED!!!!

Reason? Not enough entries. Not enough personel to man road closures.

Now i have to wait untill April 30th for the TrailBlazer.

Good news is, i ran into Pierre at our road closure, Bonnie Doon Rally last Saturday. I hadn't met him before, but he knew me. He goes to most rallies with a few video cameras and spends the whole time filming cars whistling through the bush. He identified me as the guy in the Alfa. He told me he has some video of the GTV6 and would put it onto DVD for me. When i get it i will post it on Youtube. Be good to see, as i only get to see the car from the inside. Be good to see it from the outside for a change.

Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Trailblazer entry list is out. We have been allocated car number 12 of 25. Car is ready for scrutinty on Wednesday, just needs a wash and a dusting on the inside, I so cannot wait to get her angry again ;)
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Well Paul, what else would you have her be in a Rally other than "angry"? The Trailblazer has a 198 km tour 1st. So i get to tickle her around between Kilmore and Heathcote looking for obscure road re-alignments etc, then 3 closed road sections ( flat out) at Costerfield, a dinner break at Rally HQ, Costerfield Hall, then 143km TRE ( Dale tells me how fast to go), returning to Rally HQ  some time around 00:30 hrs Sunday.

Thanks for the best wishes.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

dehne

hey greg when is this hopefully i can get out and see you flying past
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

redalfaracing

Dehne, we leave Kilmore at 11.41 Saturday. Due at Costerfield hall about 16.15, half hour service then we do the special tests. This only. Takes 30 minutes then back to costerfield hall for a dinner break. Start TRE at 19.22 arrive back maybe midnight? Depending how we go on the night. If Dale's hamster is firing on all cylinders we could be earlier. Usually there is a spectator point.  Get to rally HQ By 16.00 and pick up some spectator instructions. Be great to see you. 
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Passed scrutiny with no issues, all set for a drive in the country. Bring it ;D
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Fylnn

Greg,

I might have missed it in the post somewhere, but noticed you have a front sump guard but do you have any guards over the transaxle?  I am tossing up on how vulnerable that area is, it is alloy, but a low hanging guard might be more trouble then it is worth.  I suppose options are also alloy or some form of polyurethane sheet to deflect the sharp edges a bit.

My PRC GTV6 is at the paint shop so hopefully can post some photos soon of it being re-assembled and finally heading for the road.

Peter

redalfaracing

Flynn, you didn't miss anything, no guard under gearbox. I try to drive around big rocks not over them. Gearbox looks a bit sand blasted but not at all damaged.
Be great to see some pics of your car.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

It's been a while, so an update is probably required.

Trailblazer.
Some things never go how you plan them. Trailblazer rally was one such day.
Great weather for a rally. Started with a tour out of Kilmore. Basically we had to head from Kilmore to Costerfield on 2011 roads using 1960 maps. In theory it could work. Trouble is, someone built the Hume Freeway since 1960. We zig zagged it all day. Got so bamboozled that in the end we just got on it an headed for the finish of division 1 at Costerfield. Some guys cleaned it, some got lost like us, but we all had a good time.
Division 2 was 3 closed rally stages through the trees and stumps near the Costerfield hall. About 12 km in total. Dust was thick and hanging. There was a lot of carnage, bent guards, broken suspension etc. Not us though, was our moment to shine! Managed to miss everything solid and finished 2nd. Dinta Officer beat us by 3 seconds in his 700 kg Gallant. I have no problem with been beaten by ex ARC champion by only 3 seconds.

That was taken by Doutchy in a tight slalom in the trees.

Divison 3 was a TRE after a dinner break. We take off and everything going good until disaster strikes.
Ghastly noises from the back of the car. Sounds like a terminal problem with the gearbox. We withdraw from the event after stage 2 and head back to rally HQ.
This is a pic of us going through the spec point with a dead gearbox.

A tad understeer but, not a lot of confidence in the ability to drive hard at this point.
We had driven the car up from melbourne so that left us with a huge dillema. Luckily Mathew Fenner had trailered his Rangie up, so we drove his Rangie home and he trailered the GTV6 home. Mathew also retired early due to a sick navigator.

I have just finished fixing the GTV6 today. The problem with the gearbox?
Tore all the teeth off the pinion. No marks on the crown wheel, weird. Maybe too much torque for a 4 cylinder pinion ( 4.3:1)  on gravel i think?
Anyhow, the 4.1:1 that came with the car has gone into my close ratio box. I thought that it wouldn't make much difference, but it feels so much taller. Paticularly 2nd. I'll get used to it i guess.

Entered in the Rich River Revisited rally this weekend out of Echuca. Held over 2 days day 1 is from Echuca up to Denni and back, with special tests along the way. A motorkhana in Rotary Park, couple of closed rally stages on private property and an autocross at Denni. Sunday we do the speedway at Moama something at Rochester and finish with a rally stage at Bagshot. Gunna be a heap of giggles.

We are car 18. hopefully Doutchy and Golly are going along with their cameras. Can't wait for the speedway. Did the wang speedway once in the Northeastern Rally. 2 nd fastest 2 wheel drive in the 2 litre Alfetta. 80 RWKW. Hayden Taylor beat me by 2 seconds in his 125 RWKW Datto 1600, guess i was trying harder :D

Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Quote from: paul edwards on July 27, 2011, 09:03:22 AM

If you can make it up for the Alpine Chapters "Le Tour De North East" on 10th and 11th of September, it would be great to have you along.

Cheers Paul

Paul, you going through Mt Beauty on the tour? I have a mate up there that needs an air con disconnected.
Maybe kill two birds with the one Alfa?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC