3l GTV6 PRC project

Started by redalfaracing, January 24, 2009, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

116gtv

g'day greg,
congrats on the build, i only just read the whole thread and its great to see a rally car project for a change..  ;D
that gtv6 looks suspiciously like my old car..did you buy it from a chap in melbourne who usually has several alfas hanging around (his name escapes me right now...)

can i ask, are the rear springs from the 96 to 98 outbacks (thats the only one showing a raised spring in their catalog..)? if so, what spring rate do you think they are? are they a direct fit? thx

looking forward to some action shots,,
cheers, martin

redalfaracing

Quote from: 116gtv on January 30, 2010, 09:54:09 PM
that gtv6 looks suspiciously like my old car

G'day Martin, I know it came from NSW. vin no ZAR116C00 03003168 If that helps you identify it. If it is your old car, would love to have some history of it.

Quote from: 116gtv on January 30, 2010, 09:54:09 PM
can i ask, are the rear springs from the 96 to 98 outbacks (thats the only one showing a raised spring in their catalog..)? if so, what spring rate do you think they are? are they a direct fit? thx

I know they fit subaru outback and ford maverick, not sure of the year. raise the rear around 30 mm and are slightly stiffer than standard 79 alfetta springs. can't give you any figures, it was a suck it and see job, that i think works really well. They fit straight in. coils are about 5mm bigger in diameter which does not seem to be an issue.

Looking forward to some action myself!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

116gtv

Dont have any paperwork handy Greg but i'm pretty sure it is.. I sold it sometime last year to Nick in Melbourne (remembered his name). cant really tell you much about it.. got it from a mate a couple of years ago who had it sitting for quite some time after he had a bit of mechanical work done. I did the rear rotors/pads and timing belt just before i sold it. left the covers in the boot so you may want to throw them back on to avoid crap getting stuck in there, considering its a rally car... ;) it was leaking water into the passenger foot well btw, that's all i can remember..
thx for the info on the springs, i'll check them out... i assume they are on the car when you took the photos in this thread?

116gtv

out of interest, can you get historic plates for a car less than 30 years old in Vic?

redalfaracing

Martin, that would be the car. Bought it off Nick. Good to haer the timing belt has been done recently.
Have to ask you though, who did the rust repair on the front guards behind the front wheels? 1/2 kg of bog and copious amounts of corrugated cardboard on either side. wasn't a pretty sight! i have put eb spares replacement panels on and job looks great now.

In Victoria, a car can have historic permit after 25 years. Very limited use, but about (when?) to get 90 day logbooks.

Greg
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

116gtv

Greg, that "repair" was done by the PPO I believe. Any dates yet on your first outing?

redalfaracing

Martin, going to have a stab at Challenge of Clubs on Labor Day weekend, March 6,7 & 8. Motorkhana on Saturday at Ballarat Airport, Trial on Saturday night out of the Ballan Racecourse, and a Twilight Autocross on Sunday also at Ballarat Airport. Good try out for a newly prepared car. Any problems are bound to be obvious after that workout. Keep you posted.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Finally got the 24 valve home today, ( been next door, as he has a fork lift and i don't. Needed to extricate it from the back of the hilux)

Had a good stare at it. Anyone know what the module on the inlet plemum does? seems the loom from the car plugs into the upper plug, and all the engine electrics come off the lower plug.

possibly don't need it as i am using an E11 V2 ecu. But maybe i do if it is an ignition module.

Let the fun begin.

Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

david sammartino

That would be the ecu on the plenum.

redalfaracing

David, i wish you were right, but all the info i have states it is a bosch mpi ecu and this module is clearly manufactured by Hitachi. i have googled all the numbers i can read on it and no definitive answer. i would think an ecu for this engine would be a tad chunkier than this slim module. take a look.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: redalfaracing on February 15, 2010, 08:23:41 PM
David, i wish you were right, but all the info i have states it is a bosch mpi ecu and this module is clearly manufactured by Hitachi. i have googled all the numbers i can read on it and no definitive answer. i would think an ecu for this engine would be a tad chunkier than this slim module. take a look.

David is 100% correct.  That is the engine ECU.

david sammartino

Thats correct, it is definately the ecu. You can thank modern technology for the size of it and considering its function. Not to mention where its located, pretty good in my view, makes the wiring very neat indeed.

redalfaracing

Thanks David, sorry i doubted you. I must say i am surprised by the size of the thing. i am guessing by the number of wires going between the engine and the car that there are some other modules buried under the dash etc which link to this one, considering the GTV6 ecu only sends about 5 wires back to the car loom.

Anyone have a comprehensive wiring diagram of one of these cars? I bought a cd on the 166 on ebay, but it seems a bit scant on information.

Would it be fair to say that the coils have a built in ignitor ,as 3 wires go to each coil?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: redalfaracing on February 16, 2010, 07:34:02 PM
Thanks David, sorry i doubted you. I must say i am surprised by the size of the thing. i am guessing by the number of wires going between the engine and the car that there are some other modules buried under the dash etc which link to this one, considering the GTV6 ecu only sends about 5 wires back to the car loom.

Anyone have a comprehensive wiring diagram of one of these cars? I bought a cd on the 166 on ebay, but it seems a bit scant on information.

Would it be fair to say that the coils have a built in ignitor ,as 3 wires go to each coil?

Not at all.  The coils are the same as on a 164 24v, which has two 7 pin modules to drive them.  The three wires on the coil packs are power, earth, and trigger.  The 7 wires on the 164 modules are 1 earth, 3 back to the ecu and 3 out to the coils.  When a 164 24v loses its cam sensor for any reason, it fires one circuit on each module simultaneously and runs in wasted spark mode - which is how I have mine set up...

redalfaracing

I got my mk1 engine to rx8 tailshaft coupling from the machine guy ( Tom ) this week. he is a wizard! pic below. being a bit busy prepping the car for tomorrow nights rally to do any other work on the conversion. Put some pics up of her ready to rock and roll.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC